Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Question about sons last name change

My son is 12 , his biological father chose to stop seeing him when he was 6 years old. I tried for a few years to find him but never had any luck. I finally realized that it's not my job to make him a parent.
I have since married an awesome man, loves my son and treats him like his own.
My or I should say our son even calls him Dad. We thought about adoption but then we don't think his bio-father should get out of his responsibility financially.
My son has said from time to time that he would like to have the same last name as all of us and that got me thinking...I have tried to contact his bio-fathers family and they don't show any interest in our son. So I have been doing some research. As far as I can tell I have to go in fill out the papers and petition the court .
Does anyone here have any experience with this, or been in a similar situation? If so I would love any input...

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (3)
  • you might try finding something at then link to "know the law". I would also call an adoption agency and speak with their lawyer. It's free and they are knowlegable about all the current laws on name changing.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:37 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • Thank you, I will do that..

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • It's perfectly legal for you to change your son's name - it would require the father's approval ONLY if he could be found and responded to the request. If he cannot be found and is not involved, then there is no obstacle to changing your son's last name.

    Answer by JPsMommy605 at 12:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.