toddler sleep?

My daughter (20 months) has been sleeping on her own since she was really little. For the last two weeks, she has gotten up every night for at least 2 hours. The first several days it was either gas pain or teething pain. Now, the last 2-3 days she'll get up just to watch tv. She screams until the tv comes on. If i didn't live in an triplex with neighbors on both sides i'd let her scream it out. She doesn't want to be held and i can't figure out why she won't sleep. I know there could be numerous reasons why she's getting up but i was wondering if anybody else went through this? What was it and what did you do?

kinzleysmommy

Asked by kinzleysmommy at 11:42 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know how you feel, we live in an apartment so when dd was younger I had to find ways to avoid her screaming for long periods of time. My suggestion is to just talk to your neighbors. Tell them what is going on and apologize ahead of time if she wakes them. I know, you shouldn't have to apologize for putting your daughter to bed, but they may appreciate the heads up. Explain to them that you want to nip this in the butt before it gets worse. Then, I would get her back to bed. When she gets out of bed, take her right back to it. The first time you do, tell her it is time for bed, mommy loves you goodnight. After that if she keeps getting up, keep taking her back to bed but don't say anything to her. Make sure all of the lights, tvs are off and don't give in.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• First off, I wouldn't turn the TV on for her, even if she does start screaming. Try telling her that after X time, the tv doesn't turn on, and that it can only be turned on when it's light outside.

When she gets out of bed, you should try to find out why shes out of bed in the first place, and then try to correct whatever the issue is. Then you should take her back to her room and help her back to bed. If she decides that she does not want to sleep, you should explain to her that she can stay awake and play quietly in her room, but that it's not acceptable to leave her room (unless to use the bathroom if she is) until it is time for her to get up for the morning.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Is there a TV in her room? If so, remove it. Try leaving a night light on...my daughter is fond of the Disney princess one. It gives her something to look at.
    Your daughter might be going through a growth spurt. I've noticed that my kids sleeping patterns always change then. Good luck~
    realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 12:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2009