My son HATES fruit. We can't even shove it in his mouth. He'll just spit it right back out. What can I do, other than sneaking it into his oatmeal, to get him to eat his apples, pears, and bananas? (Peaches, he actually likes.)

We've tried spicing mildly with ginger, cinnamon, and vanilla extract. None of them worked. He just makes the sourest faces. He will, however, eat any and every vegie we give him.

ktrog

Asked by ktrog at 11:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He doesn't need fruit. There is vitamin c in tomatoes and in other vegetables- check online. A nice variety of vegetables will give him the nutrients that he needs. He may never come around to liking fruit. I wonder about yogurt- will he eat a little fruit in that? a little mashed banana or applesauce? Back to vegetables. Try sweet potato, pumpkin- those are sweet. If he learns to eat those maybe he'll me more agreeable to fruit.

Answer by Bmat at 11:47 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Consider yourself lucky that he eats veggies! His palate may change and he'll love fruit someday. I was going to suggest yogurt too. Good luck~
    realtorshelly

Answer by realtorshelly at 11:55 AM on Jan. 11, 2009

• If you feel you need to give him fruit, continue to mix it, thats a great idea! Also yogurt is good.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Actually just keep presenting the fruit to him. It takes like eight times before they get used to it. And I'd like to suggest not shoving it in his mouth. Trying to force him to eat anything is just going to set you up for meal drama later.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• If he likes peaches that is great. Offer the others from time to time and eventually he'll like them, too. This is very promising that he likes vegetables and peaches. Good for you! And good for him!
    (I am going to leave my previous answer up since I had just noticed that he likes peaches.)

Answer by Bmat at 12:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• What kind of yogurt is good to give to babies? We stick strictly to organic foods. This may be a dumb question, but is there like a brand that makes yogurt for babies, or is like yoplait what you give them?
    ktrog

Answer by ktrog at 1:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Try mixing other fruits with the peaches and see if that works.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 9:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2009