Initial duty station

I'm supposed to report to MEPS for Basic Training in 4 months, but after Basic and AIT when I'm sent to my first duty station how do they move my family, my house and my cars? Do you move yourself and the Army reimburses you or do they move it all for you? Is there a limit to how many cars you can take with you? I'd ask my recruiter, but he takes forever to call back. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2011 in Military

• Well you can do a move two ways. The first time out I suggest just letting them move all your stuff. They will not move your cars that is up to you. The exception to that is if you are stationed OCONUS which simply means out of the US, they will move ojne vehicle. There is a limit on pounds that they will move and you have to pay for anything over a certain weight but I can honestly say that I wouldn't worry about that. You are also responsible for getting your family to wherever you are stationed. They will give you a moving allowance that should cover most of the cost of driving the cars and your family.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:24 PM on Dec. 18, 2011

• During AIT, you will receive orders for your first duty station. In the orders it will have information about these things but you will also more than likely get a chance to take care of some of these things. The military will move you and your belongings (up to a certain weight depending on rank and number of dependents). As far as number of cars, if you are going to an overseas duty station, they will ship one. If you are stateside, I believe they will ship one as well and you will either have to pay to have another one shipped or drive it yourself. You will find out more as it gets closer to your AIT graduation.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:28 PM on Dec. 18, 2011

• They will not ship a car if you are stationed somewhere in the US. We have made the drive across country quite a few time driving two cars because they will not ship one.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2011

• MelbornJ, you are right, I was thinking that my friend had his shipped but that was because he was in Alaska at the time. We have only been stationed overseas or really close to our hometown. Thanks for clearing that up.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 12:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2011

• No problem, you are right they will do Alaska because it is so far away. It is all so confusing and overwhelming but thue first time around I think they walk you through it a bit so I wouldn't worry too much about it. When I enlisted I didn't have a family so I can understand being worried about how things work out.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2011

• They will go ove a bunch of that once you get to your Basic Training and AIT stations. The Great thing about basic and AIT and also the bad thing is you go through a lot of trainings and briefings to cover all sorts of random things you'll need to know. The military will always move you (Cars are sometimes a different matter) If they move a car they will often times only move one car if you own multiple.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 12:52 AM on Dec. 20, 2011

• Ok thanks everyone!

Someone else told me that Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Guam are considered OCONUS because even though they are part of the US, they aren't part of the mainland.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Dec. 20, 2011