How can I get my daughter on a schedule?

My daughter is 7 weeks old and making it very difficult to get some sleep. Just when I think that we are getting on a routine she completly switches it up. She was going to bed at 11 then last night she decides to be awake until 1:30. It is getting exhausting. My son is 2 1/2 and goes to bed at 8 I would like her to be in bed at 9 but she usually wakes up at 8 when I am putting my son to bed. How do I keep her awake during the day and get her on a routine so we can get some sleep?

hawmom

Asked by hawmom at 11:58 AM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You have to keep her on a schedule all day, everyday. Don't switch up anything, or any times. Regulating what she does will regulate HER. As far as getting her days and nights mixed up, there is this amazing old wives tale that my mom told me about that actually worked for my son, and apparently for me when I was a baby. You lie her in her crib/bassinet, and flip her head-over-heels forward, then backwards. I know it sounds so silly, but the night after we did it, I swear my son was sleeping through the night from then on.
    ktrog

Answer by ktrog at 12:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Don't keep her awake during the day! She will become tired, angry and over-stimulated and not sleep at night. She is still so young that you can't expect her to sleep a nice 8 hours or more. You will have to feed her. My son goes to sleep at 11pm after I bathe and feed him (he is 10 weeks) and he sleeps 4 hours (for a breastfed baby thats great) and he groggily wakes up and I feed him every 4 hours. Then he then wakes up around 9 and stays awake for the day. You just have to do the same thing every night and he will learn this is how it is. DO EXPECT TO FEED HER. Don't wake her during a day time nap. If she falls asleep then don't stop what's going on - leave the lights on, make noise. It's at night time when the lights go out, she goes to the crib, she is in her night gown, there is no noise and Mommy and Daddy are asleep like she should be, she'll understand.

FateoftheGodz

Answer by FateoftheGodz at 1:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Establish a routine. Its all about knowing whats coming next. Give her a bath, bottle, read a book, rock her for a bit, lay her down when she is sleepy but awake, give binky (if applicable), turn out the lights (they aren't necessary and can be distracting for newborns), exit quietly, and speak softly. If you try this routine for 3 days, it should work. When you go in to her room in the middle of the night, dont get her out of the crib, give binky and soothe while she is in her crib. This lets her know its night time, and getting up isnt an option. If you have to get her out (to change diaper or feed him), dont leave her room, and try to keep it dim. Good luck! Babys thrive when they know whats coming next :). Laying baby down when they are sleepy but awake is key! :)
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 10:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2009