• In the Spotlight:

When should children be discouraged to walk around naked?

My almost 9 year old SD doesn't mind being naked in front of anyone. She'll go out into the living room naked, with her dad there, with her uncle, with whatever family. Family is clearly uncomfortable and has asked her to go get dressed, but she lounges around. How old is too old to be doing this and when should children be asked to stop doing this?

mommyonhawaii

Asked by mommyonhawaii at 12:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would say just to waltz around the house maybe 5... At that age, I would start enouraging them to get dressed before they went out of the bedroom or bath. I do think she would be getting embarrased at that age. You can sit her down and have a serious discuss with her that this will not be allowed in your home, that she is just too old for it.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• IMO 12-18 momths. That's when ours stopped.
    Anonymous

• I'd say when they can start noticing the differences and asking questions about their bodies. This is usually around 3 or 4. Nine is WAAAYYYY too old to be naked around grown men.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• my daughter was 2 and she did it all on her own but i would nip it in the butt big time at 9 you don't need neigbors too be going saying something too the wrong person and then the state stepping in not a good thing
    Anonymous

• We are comfortable with our bodies in our family, but total nudity has never been part of the picture. My kids started out (of course) in diapers, which were always on because I like my carpets and furniture! Once they graduated to underpants, I never allowed them to go about naked. If they walk in on me getting out of the shower, it isn't a big deal, but I think part of a parent's job is to teach kids the social norms of their society. In our society that includes clothing, so I think you could help your SD out by teaching her appropriate modesty.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 12:31 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think 12/18 months is way too early!! But 9 is past the point of being acceptable too. My daughter is 7 and we strongly encourage her to not do this in front of us, her parents. She may do it around her grandma but that is as far as SHE would feel comfortable. I think you should talk with her that our bodies are private and sacred and you should respect our bodies. How does dad feel?
    pbjmoore

Answer by pbjmoore at 1:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think it's pretty common for kids up to about age 7 to be naked in front of immediate family. But outside of immediate family, I'd say not after babyhood!

It is NOT SAFE for your 9 year old daughter to be naked around men. It is NOT SAFE for her to think this acceptable social behavior. Institute some rules, NOW. Do it for her safety, but you can "blame" the rules on your family's discomfort.
    cam.i.am

Answer by cam.i.am at 2:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Modesty is something that needs to be taught from very little on. By three, my daughter was wrapped in a towel before leaving the bathroom after a bath. At that age she was also reminded to "sit like a lady".
    A nine year old should NOT be allowed to run around in her underwear, let alone, naked! She should be sent back to her room immediately, lectured on decency and told she will not come out until properly dressed!
    Trasee

Answer by Trasee at 2:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Wow, I'd have to say that's a little too old. There may be some reason she does this to get attention. My kids never went around naked unless it was after a bath when they were babies. That's just cuz I'd be cleaning up and they'd run to DH to get their diapers on. I agree with the other lady...once they are potty trained and wearing underwear, they should at least have those.
    kbates1208

Answer by kbates1208 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I let all four run around naked, they're 2yr old dd, 4 yr old nephew, 5 yr old ds, 8 yr old niece. They don't see anything wrong or dirty with being naked in the house, and I'm glad of that. I would never want them to be uncomfortable with their body. If company is over then I expect them to stay in the room or stay clothed. I told them that there was nothing wrong with being naked, but that some people were uncomfortable with naked kids, it had nothing to do with their body, but the other persons feelings only. And they've been taught t respect others
    southernwldchld

Answer by southernwldchld at 4:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2009