Weaning from the bottle

My daughter is 8 months old, she drinks juice from a sippy cup, which is great, but always has to be put to sleep(naps and bedtims) with a bottle of forumla. I am dreading having to wean her from that when the time comes, I am going to try around 1 year. I know it's still 4 months away, but I stress over it. Any tips, ideas, suggestions, advice, anything! Thank you!

lmh3820

Asked by lmh3820 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I give my son a big bowl of oatmeal before bedtime. It fills him up so much that it makes him sleepy, and then we put a pacifier in his mouth, and pat his back until he falls asleep. Works like a charm. It may take a week or so to get her used to it, but that's the worst habit to break.
    ktrog

Answer by ktrog at 1:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I had a hard time weaning my son from the bottle so what I did is I had him come with me outside and we threw his bottles away. I did it on trash day so we couldn't go get them. He cried the first night then he was fine.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• If she can use the sippy cup now, put her formula in it and get rid of the bottles. It's going to be easier to do it now rather than later.

Change the routine slightly so she's not getting formula RIGHT before bed....make it about 1/2 hour before. Whatever you want her schedule to eventually be, start working on it now.

If she can use a sippy, she doesn't NEED the bottle any longer....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2009