Medical Records... What's the deal?!?

I hate the way I have to sign "privacy" papers everywhere. Why would I care who sees my medical records. What's the deal? Why is everyone so up tight about who sees their medical records? To me if someone wants them - let them have them... What do I have to hide? My weight? Everyone knows I'm fat. What else could really be an issue??

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 12:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Health

• Ummm...lots of stuff. Think really hard about it!
    Anonymous

• I have... for a long time... I just don't get it. All of my doctors and my childrens doctors have notorized paperwork to alow them to bipass all that stuff for us...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• It might be hard for you to imagine someone wanting your records because at this point in your life you don't feel you have anything to hide.  That is a beautiful thing and I can admire that.  However as a practitioner working with the public I see it from a vantage point that may help you understand it differently.  As you feel no worries, meanwhile for others, whom may have AIDS, HIV or other STD's or factors they just want kept private such as a teenager needing birth control etc. Our privacy is protected. This is law kind of like treating your health care as if it's your financial information.  Believe it or not some insurance companies will not allow coverage to someone who has had pre exisiting conditions. To learn more about it click here: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/hipaa/

massagegiftmom

Answer by massagegiftmom at 1:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• It's due to HIPAA. It was a law passed several years ago and is designed to protect our privacy. Some people don't have anything in their record that needs to be protected. Others have a lot of things that they don't want just anyone to see. HIPAA was also seen as necessary because insurance claims are filed electronically now and there are privacy issues with that. It was designed to make people more aware of their rights as far as their medical record is concerned.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I would never want anyone to see my medical records. Not because I have anything to hide, just because that is personal information about my body and my mind.
    rarara11

Answer by rarara11 at 1:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• There are HIPPA laws, which protects patients from having their information disclosed to other people or agencies. It is a very delicate subject, you can't begin to imagine what they can do with your information. There's a reason for everything.
    Yve538

Answer by Yve538 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I have a number of medical issues. Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue, Bi-Polar Disorder and Mile Schizophrenia.  I also have a mild learning disability and MANY allergies.  I was almost killed by a Tetanus vaccination as a teen...  I just see no reason why any of that would need to be hidden.  My children have never been vaxed and my husband has a kidney malformation, a herniated disk in his back and is a recovering heroin addict...  Again, I (and my hubby) see nothing wrong with ANYONE having access to that.  As for people wanting to hide things like STDs that should be public record...  It's a safety factor.  And teens on BC is not something they can hide.  If they are under 18 the parents have the ability to view all that anyways... 

I guess to each their own.  But I wish it was easier to get around that law.  TO me it's senseless.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think it is a scary thing if medical records can be seen by everyone. Employers could decide not to hire you if there were things on there they did not like. Maybe, they would be scared you would take to much time off. Creditors could check on your health. Credit ratings are already used to price your insurance. When I became ill with Scleroderma, and had to bankrupt out, my auto insurance immediately went up. I had always paid my insurance on time. Until, I became ill, I paid my bills on time. I would not like people to get a hold of my records, my children's or my grandchildren's.

lynnem1211

Answer by lynnem1211 at 1:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I have actually heard of someone stealing medical idenity. A women actually had a life threating reaction to a medication because of errors on her medical record from someone using her name to recieve medical care. Why someone would do this I don't know, maybe to avoid bills or paying?
    But you should be careful with your medical records, because they not only contain your health info, but some personal and finacial info like ssn, insurance, address, phone number. If in the wrong hands it could be a disaster.
    Anonymous

• Medical records contain more than just info regarding your health. They also contain identifying info such as name, ssn, address, phone number, ins. info, and if you pay by check or credit card when you pay your co-pay, it also could contain your credit card number or bank account info. Identity theft is a big concern, but it's not just taking that info. People will steal your medical identity too, as anon above me said. They do it just like identity theft with using info for purchases, only they use it in order to receive health care. It IS annoying having to sign all of those forms, I will grant you that, but it truly is for the safety of everyone. And as for STD's being public record, no I don't agree. I'm sorry, but while I agree those that have sex with that individual need to know, I don't think the entire world needs to know.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2009