Locator chips in Children...

My mother says the idea of implanting children with GPS chips (like they do dogs) is comunist... I think it's an awesome idea... If something should happen to my kids I would rather know I (or the police) can find them. And if you think about it the only people that have a real reason to not be found by the police are the people that are doing something wrong and should be found... Why is this a bad thing?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 1:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yikes.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• In case of the child being abducted or going missing then yes it is a great idea! But how long before someone corrupted uses this invasion of privacy to hurt a child, or before somebody corrupted who is high up in the justice system uses it to track somebody who they want to hurt.
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 1:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• OKay I know that sounds overboard but seriously I would never trust anyone else with this sort of information and other people would have access to it.
    HNK11

Answer by HNK11 at 1:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I have thought about this for a long time, and I think the uses to which it could be put are horrifying. Also, I thought they would first try to implement it in the guise of "For the children". Then it will be the elderly, the handicapped, the criminals, then before you know it EVERYBODY will have microchips implanted at birth. It would take very little then to track and control everyones movements. I'm not Christian, but for those of you who are, think Mark of the Beast...
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• The chip will relay every aspect of our lives, of every step and moment of our lives. Finding lost children would be great. But how can we control our decisions if the government has already total control over us? And, what if the techology fell into corrupt hands?

We'd be our own walking computers via satellite by the government. Amazing that we've gotten so far in techology. I hear prospects of possible time travel by the "Elegant string theory" of the universe. Amazing again.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 1:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• There's no way to tell how the information would be used and the chance for abuse is too high.

I vote NO.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 1:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• um, there was a Law and Order SVU show that was based on this with and adult. it is based off a real incident where a man put one in his wife.. of course they tweeked and made it more interesting. but he used it to find out his wife was having an affair....but it scares the hell out of me. it could be useful in locating missing children, but i am not going to "big brother" my child. we closer and closer to "Big Brother" everyday, government is into everyone's business, this is just one more area.
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 1:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Uhm no it is a horrible idea. That takes away our rights and freedoms because if we start with children and they get older then where does it end? Your mom is right.

Answer by gemgem at 1:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I would not do this.
    rarara11

Answer by rarara11 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Pagan Mama, I agree with you. I guess since I have read the whole series of Left Behind books, that does sound like the Mark of the Beast. When you first think about it, it seems fine, until you start to think what would happen if the info got into the wrong hands.
    lynnem1211

Answer by lynnem1211 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2009