Obesity Tax in NYS

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newyork/ny-bc-ny--sodatax1216dec16,0,1237354.story

NYS has declared a "fat tax" on all non-diet soft drinks. For your favorite beverage, we now have to pay 18% more for it than the diet alternative, which is loaded with artificial sweetners. Which do you feel is better? Do you think this is government taking things a bit too far?

dragonfly7271

Asked by dragonfly7271 at 1:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Yes, I think the government is taking things to far. The ingredients in diet beverages have been known to cause health concerns. My doctor told me not to drink diet pop, but to drink water instead. I like water with a lemon slice in it, or the flavored water at Wal-Mart. I also like coke! lol I do not think I should have to pay extra if I decide I want a can of pop. It sounds like Big Brother is watching. 1984 is getting here, it is just coming a little late.
    lynnem1211

Answer by lynnem1211 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• NO, that is a great idea.
    Anonymous

• Gov't. taking 'things' too far? What things? Where have you been the last 3 months. So funny.
    Tax all the fat unhealthy stuff.
    Anonymous

• Yep nanny state

Answer by gemgem at 1:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Well i dont live in NY but I saw that on the news the other day, i think its pretty dumb. I don't drink diet pop but am far from overweight. One country (i cant remember which one...netherlands maybe) has made it a law that people with a BMI greater than 26 cannot move there.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• The creeping of socialism into our country. The Federal Government once was contained by the Constitution---but they have slowly eroded States' Rights and thus individual rights. Even Obama doesn't think the Constitution is "viable". It is sick and sad. But thanks to people wanting the Government to take care of everything--we have such stupid taxes. It was said decades ago---If the Government is taking care of the people--who is taking care of the Government? Government does not produce any goods to support itself--only what it takes from the people--and the people are gladly handing over rights for security. It is a sad.

Anonymous

• well maybe all the fatties will have to turn to something else other than things that will just keep making them fatter.
    Anonymous

that is the dumbest thing that i have ever heard in my life, lots of people are fat and it is not because of what they eat it is because of there genes.
    grow up and use your brain, if you have one.
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 1:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• It is a fact we are chronically obese as a society. To the point where it is costing us, at an individual level, more for our own personal health care expenses (with our current health care system) as a direct result of so many over weight American citizens. Diabetes, kidney disease, heart disease, poor circulation, back and joint pain, muscles that are being stressed due to too much weight...ect. Something has to be done. I am not sure how I feel about taxing non diet drinks in either direction. Artificial sweeteners have not been proven affective as a way to keep weight down - just the opposite. It gets the taste buds used to the sweetness and crave sweet. Still, I agree we need an active plan to get us in better shape as a nation. Answers? I don't think there is a single mom on here who knows all the answers.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Who cares, I boycotted Pepsi for pushing the gay agenda issue anyway.
    Artificial sweetners cause cancer and make people fat (they drink more), thus creating more of a health care crisis in our country. It's job security for the big phama. companies running the gov't.
    Anonymous