I cant remember!!!!

I worked for 4 months at the beginning of 2008 and I cannot remember how I filled out the tax being withheld portion of the application..... I have 3 kids and I cant remember if i claimed them or claimed zero..... So If i did claim zero can i still get the earned income tax credit for my kids when i go file??? Or will i be all messed up??

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It doesnt matter if you filed with kids or not earned income is based on how much you earned not paid in taxes.

Answer by gemgem at 1:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Don't take my word for it, but I think my husband claimed fewer than the number of children and was still able to claim the correct number on the income tax form.

Answer by Bmat at 1:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• But dont they give you so much per child??? Im from wyoming and this is my first time filing in Illinois but in wyoming I always got $1000 per child back plus what i paid in back......
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 1:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Yes they do give you so much per child but the W2 you fill out is different from the tax forms you fill out. My husband never claims ANY children on his taxes and we get a bigger refund at the end of the year because of that. You get all the money paid in and earned income credit if you make under a certain amount. Also my dds fiance lists six dependants all year and only has 1 child. EIC forms are completely different. You actually list names, ss numbers etc and W2 is just so they know how much to withold from your paycheck.

Answer by gemgem at 1:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I claim zero and when I file I claim myself and my son every year
    what you claim relates to how much they take out of your check but you can always change your claim when you file
    caitelinn

Answer by caitelinn at 5:09 AM on Jan. 12, 2009