Excessive weight gain

Out of curosity have any of you other ladies taken celexa and gained lots of weight from it? I started taking it back in June when my son almost died, and since then I have gained 40 pounds. Then I was thinking well maybe it was from my C-Section but its all over weight not just in my belly. Who knows, all I know is its ridiculous!!!

jbarker777

Asked by jbarker777 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Health

• Actually it could be true. Celexa is made to help calm you and help you feel better.. maybe you are so relaxed now... Who knows.. I would ask you Dr. about it though. Anything that makes me gain weight is a NO NO for me. Ugh...I want the stuff that makes the weight fall off!!!
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I also went on Prozac a few years ago after my daughter was suffering from a chronic health problem. It was a very hard time for us. Anyway right away I kept just putting on pound after pound. It was definitely from the meds because it was so sudden and fast. ...After 6 months I got off the meds. Took me awhile, but I did end up loosing all the weight and went back down to my normal "weight level."

I would talk to your doctor and see what your best option is, changing meds, getting off of them etc..For me just being on Prozac for 6 months was enough to help me get back on track with dealng with my anxiety.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 2:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I was on Seroquel which is another antidepressant, and I gained 40 lb in 4 months. I went off it and just took my anti anxiety meds (because the anxiety was causing the depression), but its been horrible trying to lose the weight. I'd see your doctor about this ASAP. There are meds out there that don't cause weight gain that may work well for you too.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2009