• In the Spotlight:

juice juice or gerber juice

For a while I was giving my son (13 months) gerber juice but then I switch to juice juice instead because the bottle seems to bigger then gerber and there is more of a vartiey then the gerber. But I was just wonder if it's ok to be giving my son juice juice because my mother in law told me I should not be giving him this juice and gerber is better for him. I give my son a juice in the afternoon with a snack but I don't give him alot and he usually doesn't asked for more when he is done and I also give my son water too the flavor stuff. I told her it's ok to be giving him the juice and juice but so did our dr. So what do you give your toddler to drink.

LoriAnn87

Asked by LoriAnn87 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think Gerber juice is just a way for them to get you to spend more money. In other words the only thing you are really paying for is the cute little baby on the bottle. I buy mine from trader joe's ( orange peach mango or the organic apple juice) and it's fine. I was watering it down but then I was told my kid was too skinny. Soooooo.... now she get the full juice between meals and when we are out and milk for snacks and meals.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• gerber is a household name so a lot of people think it is the best. I gave my kids juicy juicy also. Found more juice and less sugar in it. Now that may have changed from 10 years ago, I don't know..but I liked it
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 2:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Mix 1/2 with water.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• i always mixed juice with water. doc recommends we stay away from juice--too much sugar and no nutrients. water is much better. nothing wrong with a little treat once in awhile though. all juice is the same--just make sure its no sugar added. i'd buy the unfiltered juice too--you get some nutrients from the "pulp."
    bowiepainter

Answer by bowiepainter at 2:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My kids have always had Juicy Juice since the very first time. Mixed half and half with water.

They don't need juice at all, but if you do give it as long as it's all juice it's good.

Whole fruit is better (as I go make my kids' snack juice cups LOL)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I don't buy juice based on the brand. I look at sugar content. We buy mots for tots for our daughter. Not as much sugar, and more for you money. If you do regular juice for a child that young you need to do half and half (water/juice) ok. :)

My daughter really loves these things at walmart called "tummy ticklers". They are cute. The are like sippy cups but you can reuse them. The small bottles come with 11 juice cups and one topper (we have winnie the poo, tigger, etc) We just save the bottoms and tops to fill with her mots with tots and it gives her 4 oz of juice, a perfect portion.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 3:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I give DD Juicy Juice or Motts for Tots or even organic but I mix it with water and she only gets up to 4-5 oz a day but not every day.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 3:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I use Motts apple juice (not the Motts Tots though) and add water. I used the Gerber juices because the 4oz bottles were easy to take with me on trips. Now I buy 100% juice boxes to shove in the diaper bag.

If you are worried about the sugars then you might want to take a second look at the flavored waters. They usually have sugar or a sugar substitute in them. IMO I would stay away from sugar substitutes.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• any kind of juice is fine as long as it is 100% juice and you mix it half and half with water! Hope this helps
    ckmomof2

Answer by ckmomof2 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2009