Milk base vs Soy based Vs Organic

What type of formula do you think is best for newborns? My princess is 3 weeks old. Advice anyone?

TastyPeach6969

Asked by TastyPeach6969 at 2:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My friend started her DD on milk based but she was very gasy. She's been doing good on soy for the last 3mos.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• The best formula is the one YOUR BABY will take. That could be ANYTHING. They're really much of a muchness. Ask for samples from your doc.

Do be sure to check out the most recent reports about formula and melamine, so you know which ones to avoid.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Just want to add that iron fortified formulas can be hard for a young baby to digest causing constipation. Babies have iron stores from pregnancy for the first 6mos.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• The one that works best for YOUR baby. Milk based is most definitely cheaper but it may not be the one your child tolerates best. My son will not tolerate a milk based or soy based or protein so he is on an elemental formula with amino acids instead of proteins and let me tell ya, it's expensive. $47.54 a can! As always breast milk is best but if that isnt an option start on milk based and go from there
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Yep...the one which works best for your baby is the best.

I have one son who ended up on soy and another who was on gentlease for a while. You do what's best for the baby no matter what it is...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• go to the dr sears website. there is a section there on bottle feeding and it goes into explaining the differences and pros and cons. This way you can at least make an informed decision as to which one to try first. I say try first because you may have to try a few.
    babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2009