nursing and one breast doesnt make much milk. how can i fix it?

I'm nursing and one breast doesnt make much milk at all. How can I get it to catch up with the other???

Etindel

Asked by Etindel at 2:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Pump that boob while baby nurses the other. For me once let down occurs at one boob the other starts flowing.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I had this same problem with my last babies. I had twins so I really needed both sides to make as much as possible. I was pumping for a while because the babies were in the NICU. So I was tracking to the mm how much I was making. What I did to fix the problem was I pumped for about 5 minutes more on that side. The more stimulation you get the more milk you make. I would try to nurse the baby on that side first so it gets drained then finish on the other side. Then if that does not help I would pump on that side for a few minutes. Good luck.
    busymom_Ivy

Answer by busymom_Ivy at 2:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• If you're uneven on one side, favor the other side for a while. I had one breast that made way more milk than the other. So the one that made less, I had him use each time. If he was still hungry afterward, then he could have what he wanted from the other, fuller breast. They're now even after a few days of doing that thank goodness!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 2:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• http://www.llli.org/FAQ/normal.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Anonymous

• It's pretty normal but if you need the lower producing one to make more, NovemberLove's suggestion was good. Most women are like that though, and your little one should get enough between the two.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009