Would you dye your baby/child's hair if you didn't like the natural color?

I was in line for a Subway sandwich yesterday in the food court at the mall and I overheard this mom in front of me talking to her friend about her baby's hair color. She was saying how it looked like it might turn red. She said that she hated red hair and if it turned she would dye it. Her daughter looked between 6-9 months old. It just made me wonder if any mom's really do that sort of thing.

PROGENITOR

Asked by PROGENITOR at 2:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• thats horrible and not to mention dangerous.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 2:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Nope. I love my kids just as they are. My grandson and YS have red hair. I think its great.

Answer by gemgem at 2:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• No, I wouldn't dye my child's hair.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 2:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I would NEVER dye my child's hair. I already told DD that she can do what she wants with her hair when she moves out. Until then, natural is better and safer.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 2:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• nope i would never think of that
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 2:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• You can't dye a babies hair...the fumes alone would be dangerous.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• no
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I hope that mother was not serious! I know someone who dyed her 5 year old's hair and I thought that was bad enough!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• That's CRAZY! I don't understand how you can teach your children to be secure with who they are and love themselves, if their own mother shows that she doesn't approve of who they are naturally.
    busygirl247

Answer by busygirl247 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Part of me felt like tapping her on the shoulder and telling her that comments like that tend to make people (other teen moms included I would imagine) look down upon the stereo type of young teen moms.
    I just cannot imagine any mom being so superficial as to pour chemicals on their young child's head because they simply don't care for their natural hair color. It just sounded like something that would have come out of the mouth of a 12 year old.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 3:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2009