87 year old man long trips?

Isn't there a condition or sickness that someone can get from sitting for a long time, or airplanes or in cars? My fatherinlaw is 87 y o and he wants to drive with us when we head south soon. It's about 19 hour drive over three days. I'm worried about him getting blood clots from sitting for so long in the car. Does any one know what I'm talking about, I can't remember the name of it but this condition comes from sitting a long time. We stop every five hours plus two nights in a hotel. He's never had a heart attack and never had a stroke and no previous blood clots or anything bad. He's just old. Is it a bad idea for him to go with us on this drive? I don't know what does any one think? A daughter because of job obligations can't get up to see her dad and we're heading down for fun so we though we made take my father inlaw. Any thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Travel

• Instead of stopping every 5 hours, do every 3 hours so he can get out to stretch and walk around. Be sure to tell him to tell you if his legs is getting numb or starts to hurt, so you can stop and let him move around. If you feel uneasy about this, you can always contact his Doctor and tell him everything you just said here and let him know your concerns and see what the Doctor says. He should be able to tell you what to do. Good Luck!
    ProudOhioMom

Answer by ProudOhioMom at 3:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I agree with the above poster. My aunt was 92 and never had any heart or clotting issues and she drove from Washington to Texas to Florida back to Texas to California and to Michigan with no problems. If your driving with any young children you will probably be stopping more frequently than every 5 hours. Just walking around for 5 minutes is a big help.
    afeggan

Answer by afeggan at 3:54 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• just make sure you stop a lot, and make sure he gets water.. check with his doctor, and make sure its totally ok... but pull over every 3 hours or so, and just stretch it out.. everyone can use a stretch and DTV (deep-vein thrombosis ) can actually happen to anyone, but yes, age does take a factor, but a computer geek can get one too, for not stretching out muscles. i found an article for you... there are some simple excersizes there... good luck and have a great time...
    http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/tr_bargains/article/0,2033,DIY_14399_2277038,00.html
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 12:27 AM on Jan. 14, 2009