Best way to prepare a beef pot roast

Whats the best way to prepare a beef pot roast? I'm cooking one this afternoon but not sure the best way to prepare it to keep it juicy and tender?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 3:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Food & Drink

• For a pot roast or chuck roast, I sprinkle both sides with seasoned salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Then brown it good in a small amt. of oil before cooking it either in a crock pot for a few hours or in the oven for a few hours with 1 pkg. of onion soup mix, 2 or 3 onions and a couple of beef bouillon cubes. (makes a richer, beefier gravy) Sometimes I add celery, baby carrots and quartered potatoes 1/2 way through the cooking time. Otherwise, I make mashed potatoes and I make gravy with the broth that's in the pot. I have one in the oven right now and it's smelling soooo good!!!

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• HOnestly you can do it one of two ways....crock pot it for the afternoon....I usually season the beef with my fav seasonings the throw in potatoes, carrots celery and green beans and a little onion. If you dont want to be so fancy throw in a pack of onion soup mix and let it simmer all day. Another way I like my roast is using the Mccormick bag n seasons. The seasoning in the pot roast one is awesome on the veggies!
    Justice828

Answer by Justice828 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I always put my roast uncovered in the oven at 450 for 15-30 minutes depending on the size then cover and lower the heat to 300-350 for about 3-4 hours once again depends on the size. Always tender and always juicy, sometimes I at veggies.
    efsuermann

Answer by efsuermann at 4:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My kids thought I made a wonderful pot roast years ago. I would put the post roast in the pan, put a can of cream of mushroom soup with 1/2 packet of french onion soup or dip mix. I would put in a little water, potatoes, and carrots, and let cook. It was great, and the gray was there already.

lynnem1211

Answer by lynnem1211 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2009