Is this generation dumb?

I see kids engrossed in video games, Ipods, etc. who are oblivious to what's going on around them.
Do you think our youth is "dumbed down" by today's technology?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• No I actually think they are smarter because of the tech. I have used it to help my son with school work we go on the internet to look things up for school. He is only 8 and knows alot about the world. Unfortuntaly it also gives them to much information sometimes.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think technology is great and it definantly can have a good role in learning but it shouldnt be used as a babysitter or as an escape for the parents cause junior is ingrossed with his video games.
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 3:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Yes, I actually do. We had a family dinner the other night and their were teens their and they were so intuned to their ipods and texting that they didn't even speak let alone get up to eat dinner with the family. It is really sad to see this. I just hope that my child doens't get like this... I sometimes wish that technology would just be put on the back burner so people can truly see what life is really about
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 3:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• To an extent, but I think it's only a part of the picture... I think a number of factors of the "modern lifestyle" has hurt a lot of our kids' generation. But parents are always quick to tell you their kids are "just fine" failing to realize the standard that "fine" has fallen to.
    Anonymous

• Yes I do. They have become dependent on technology. ask any teen to do a math problem and they grab a calculator instead of doing it in their head. They love computers but don't understand how they truly work. The Internet is great but they don't look at information critically. They take blogs as fact instead of the opinion they are. . .I could go on. I feel like a hypocrite though because I'm a teacher finishing my masters in on line instruction. . .

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• They are more tech savvy than older generations, but it does seem to be contributing to a lack basic common sense and awareness. SS is so unaware of his surroundings that it blows my mind. He is the only "only child" I have ever met that is unable to entertain himself without a video game. The kid has one of the most pathetic imaginations I have ever seen in a child. I think video games have a lot to do with it. The natural world is being lost on this generation.
    Anonymous

• I don't think technology is to blame for the "dumbing down" of our kids, it's the lack of basic education and discipline in our schools and the over permissiveness of some of today's parents. Our schools are so focused on pushing extra "trash" that they've lost sight of what they are there for; teaching reading, writing and math etc. and too may parents are more concerned with being their kids' friends than being their parents or they are just too uninvolved in their kids' lives. It's a shame too, I think the kids of this generation are awesome and they deserve better.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 3:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Actually they are quite genius on some things and really ignorant on others. Kids wouldn't have all this technology if the parents didn't buy it. Sad thing is they wouldn't know what to do if we didn't have this stuff and parents aren't teaching them the real stuff.does that make sense?
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 3:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I do not know, but try asking a teenager questions about current events and geography, and see what happens. My one friend that teaches 3rd grade says that some kids still do not know their addresses, but they can tell you every place that the Hanna Montana concert will stop at.

lynnem1211

Answer by lynnem1211 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• BlessedMommy64: I cannot disagree with you more about what you said about teachers, but I do agree about parents wanting to be friends instead of parents.

PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 4:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009