How do I explain this to her?

My daughter has a friend who calls non stop. She doesn't know how to take NO for an answer. Today she called to invite her self over here.I wouldn't mind letting her come over if it wasn't for the fact that she always wants me to ship my son away (Of couse I keep him home-this is his home!) She's very spoiled, has no siblings and mom/dad never say NO. How do I explain that she has to accept that my son WILL be here?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• You don't have to explain anything. It is your home. Don't let the little girl come over. End of story.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 3:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think I would tell her something to the effect of, "we are happy to have you as a guest in our home, but you are a guest. This is my son's home and if you make him feel like he needs to leave when you are around, then you will no longer be welcomed."
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 3:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Oh wow, that sounds like a "friend" my niece had and my poor SIL had to "deal with" her... She was rude and disrespectful and would call all the time and just drive them all crazy and of course she too had parents that never told her no. My SIL finally put her foot down and told her there were certain times she could and could not call, certain times she could and could not come over, etc.. Eventually this girl stopped coming around and my niece is glad to be rid of her to be honest, she was a brat and a horrible influence. It sounds to me like this kid needs a talking to, and needs to learn some manners.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think Mishelly728 said it perfectly. You might want to add a call limit for her also. My father did this for me (I say for because I didn't want to be the bad guy) when a friend of mine would call 10 times a day. He flat out told her that no one was allowed to call me more than twice a day without an emergency, it worked.
    efsuermann

Answer by efsuermann at 3:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I never explain things like that to children. I give them the rules.

1. You can call between this time and that time. Twice.

2. You can come over when you are invited.

3. The people that live in this house stay here. If you dont like it ...dont come over.

IMO, there is to much "explaining" these days to children.

Anonymous

• i would love to ask her parents if they didnt teach that girl some manners.

dont let her come in when she is not invited.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I'd just tell her this is his home and he is staying. If she doesn't like that, she can leave. Sometimes with kids, you have to just be blunt. Kids are not big on subtlety.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2009