How can I stop my breast fed 7 month old from biting me?

Just today he started. In the last month has gotten 4 teeth. Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Both of mine bit me a couple of times. It is hard not to overreact, since it hurts! I've heard from others that if he gets a big reaction, he may continue to do it, because it is fun to make mommy do silly things like yell and jump up and down. The best thing is to calmly say "no biting," and take away the breast. You can put him on your shoulder, or hold him sitting on your lap. Their grasp on cause-and-effect is not great at this age, but mine both learned pretty quickly not to bite.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 3:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• If he hasn't been doing it for long then he might stop on his own. He could just be figuring out how to suck without using his teeth. However removing him from the breast should get his attention. If he bites pop him off tell him not to bite then continue nursing. He will get the picture. I nursed my daughter for 18 months and she had all her teeth by 9 months. That worked for her.
    Anonymous

• Everytime it happens, just take your baby off and say, NO! Babies are so smart. They quickly learn what no means. My baby use to do that occassionally...but not any more. Good Luck!
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 3:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Mine just stopped on her own. Sorry!
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I agree. Remove your little one when he bits ( put my guy in his crib for a couple minutes). What ever you do don't yell "ouch" because then it becomes a game.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Whenever my babies bit me, I shrieked out loudly. That startled them enough to stop nursing and look up at me. I would then say "No bite." After a few times, they got the hint, and we happily breastfed until they had a bunch of teeth!
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• my midwife told me, that they will either stop on their own or if they dont you just have to stop breastfeeding.

btw, i would not shriek out loudly like LaurLaur623 said. If that works for her, alright, but that could scare the baby. the opposite could happen and the baby will be afraid of ever taking the breast again. can happen, dont has to. would be careful with that ;) but thats just my opinion
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Baby cannot bite when he is latched on and nursing. You can usually learn to anticipate it (when he stops sucking near the end of a feeding etc.) and take him off before it happens. Take him off when he does it and say "no". Yelling can scare the baby and cause a nursing strike.
    I have never heard of a baby that cannot be taught not to bite and had to be weaned because of teeth!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Babies can't nurse and bite at the same time. When he quits sucking, take the breast away, you won't get bitten. Good luck!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 7:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2009