So Why. . .

is there so much hatred between us?

I received many thoughtful and polite answers to my question about why we believe what we believe. As I thought, everyone had a real emotional and logical reason to them.

Simple conversation is not going to change someone's mind as to what they believe and feel in their heart is right. So why do feel that beating our thoughts into each other will?

I think there is much to learn from each other whether we agree or not, and there are things that are a lot more fun to argue about (like politics :D) than something so near and dear to us.

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 4:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I haven't been reading the other posts but I think passion can be mistaken as hatred. I know very few Christians who hate non-Christians but in their zeal to share what they believe and try to share the gospel with others they end up doing more damage than good. I think fellow Christians lose sight of the fact God has given others the right to reject him and that only the Holy Spirit can change anyone, our words are just mere words and we can only share but so much. I think Christians just desire for the truth to be out there, no matter what. Personally, I don't see this as a bad thing as long as they remain respectful even if others don't.
    My 2 cents :)
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 4:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• very well said.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 4:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Personally I don't care what others believe...it is when someone comes in and says that everyone should believe as they do or that their (religion, belief, god, etc.) is the only true one. I then like to get into debates...I don't get angry during these, but apparently some people think that I am being mean. I would say that is because our faces and voices are not there for others to see and hear the emotion (or lack there of) behind the words.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 4:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• People ask questions and get mad when they don't get the answers they want.

People don't like it when they realize there are other points of view.

People are mad, had a bad day, having a pity party - or a zillion other reasons.

I think that so much of the anger at CafeMom is mostly self-loathing. Well-adjusted people may occasionally be snarky, but rarely shift into full-out "I'm right, you suck" mode.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I wish I could answer your question. The hatred and intolerance are not needed and it is sad.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 5:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I know what you are saying. We could use this as an opportunity to learn about eachother. Some get so zealous with their passion that if comes off as overpowering and hateful. And when you tell people about what you believe those same people attempt to make fun or discredit your beliefs. It does make me sad.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 6:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• indigostone I so agree with you... IMO many people like myself just like to debate issues, because we learn from them.. I'm not christian, but in one of my posts a christian gave me some good reading material on Jesus, I'm not going to convert, but it was a great read, and I respect the reasons she is a christian for it... I really only get irritated when someone tries to tell me what they believe is the truth... all religions are a theory... I don't believe in a God, but that doesn't mean I right... For people that are christian, pagan, buddist, etc.. there is no way of knowing for a fact what you believe is the truth... but if it feels right in your heart, you should follow it...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 8:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Gotta agree with pnwmom. Passion is coming off as hatred. Even I get overtly crazy at times, but I am so sick of people expecting me to lay down so they can walk on me because I am atheist. Just this week someone called me out. I figured a pm response was more appropriate and I fully intended to be respectful and ask that she agree to disagree. She blocked me. I'm good with that. To me it means I win the debate. It is sad that we (meaning all of us) can't post an opinion without being attacked for it. Can't change it, only how you react to it.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• well i beleave that we should stand up for God and he says we should too.

Today, many people dabble in the mystical, occultic arts. Is there anything wrong with being involved in these practices? Yes, the Bible takes a clear position on this subject, strongly denouncing these practices. God created us and therefore owns us. He has a right to set the rules for our lives. God's Word indicates that these practices are part of Satan's strategy of evil tricks and deception, designed to lead us astray. Satan and his demons are real beings set on our destruction. Christians are warned to "put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places" (Ephesians 6:11-12).
    angels4262

Answer by angels4262 at 12:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• Well, angels4262, I am a witch. While I have no intention of trying to convert YOU into one, or force my atheistic beliefs down your throat, your own agenda is so obviously the opposite. The fact that you--and others like you--don't extend me the same courtesy is the reason there is so much dissent--especially here in Religions and Beliefs. It means you'll never learn of my efforts for charity. Or my healing practice. Or that I love to play Barbie with my grand-daughter and neices. Or that I make the best butter cookies in the state. Or that I love my country and my family. And the only thing I'll ever know about you is that you are willfully intolerant. That's sad for both of us.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:13 AM on Jan. 14, 2009