Giving up nap?

My 2 1/2 year old daughter has started refusing to nap at home, but will nap just fine at preschool. On the weekends it's just been hell, because she needs it but it becomes a battle of wills. I try everything--making the room dark, white noise--have even tried rocking her--to no avail. What should I do--just allow her to play quietly in her room, or is there a way (considering she's exhausted) to promote sleep I haven't tried? Or is she just at the age when she gives up napping?

sariejack

Asked by sariejack at 4:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Are you putting her down at the same time as the school? The "wrong" start time can make kids refuse.
    Also, what is the morning schedule at the school? What do they do leading up to the nap? Try to mimic it as much as possible since those cues are strongest.
    Last, yes, allow her to lie quietly in her bed and read or play. Put a light or soft music on a timer. When the light comes on (or the music goes off) she can get up. If she falls asleep in the meantime, she'll just keep right on sleeping.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Ahhhh the fighting nap age :~) I seem to be going through it with my 14 month old, already. Explain that it is quiet time. Get both of you a good book, turn on the white noise machine. Put her in her crib, or next to you on the bed, and both of you read. Mine usually falls asleep after a while. It sometimes takes an hour . . . sometimes less. Good luck mama :~) there's so many interesting things for her to see and do, I understand her want to stay awake all the time.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 5:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I should add an update...we went to run errands and she fell asleep in the car, and has been sleeping on her nap mat ever since...this after three hours of struggling to get her to sleep. We can't get her to wake up...she is sacked out.

Sigh.
    sariejack

Answer by sariejack at 5:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2009