What can i do to refrain my son from Screaming

My son Ethan Screams so loud He is almosrt 2 in april 09 which is three months from now. he screams when he wakes up, When he goes to bed, Durring the day. my ears are proned to his screaming, and It has been driving me nuts more than ever. I do not know why he is screaming sooo much but I need to know if there is a problem Because ofhow much he scremas.

Iluvmuhson4ever

Asked by Iluvmuhson4ever at 4:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its probably out of frustration or to get attention. it depends on what the situation is at the moment that should determine how you act. But I would NEVER yell back or try and talk over the screaming. It would just make things worse.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My son is 2.5 years ad has started screaming a horrible high pitch scream when he does not get his way. At first, without realizing it, I would give him what he wanted to make it stop. That only made him scream louder and more often, since he got his way when he did it. I have now started to ignore it--as hard as that is. He has not stopped but it is a lot less than before. He still does it when he is frustrated and in those instances I do try and help him. Try ignoring it when it is for attention and helping when you can....it has helped out ears (and sanity) a lot.

Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 4:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I would talk to his Dr if you are really concerned. They can do a hearing test. Always good to be safe. If they determine there is nothing physically wrong then I would start disciplining for it. A finger to his mouth (just like your saying Shhh, then put that finger to his mouth, not hitting just touching), tell him "inside we use an inside voice, you cannot yell inside like this" and then have a "time out chair" or something similar and tell him every time he screams he will have to go sit on the time out chair for X# of minutes (we do 1 minute per year old). Give it a good 2 wks before you start to look for a real change. Consistency is KEY! You are going to feel like that's ALL you're doing for a few days, stick with it! I would also make the time out spot in another room (as I agree with it being an attention thing if there is no physical reason)
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 4:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My DD started this around 9 months. It was AWFUL. My grandfather actually told us to do this and it works, but may not be for everyone. We used a squirt bottle w/ ice water. First you need to make sure it's just an inappropriate behavior, if so, and you choose to try this, just give a good squirt every time he screams. It startles the child w/o having to give in or make a loud noise. At his age you can then redirect him and show him the appropriate way to ask. I still break out the squirt bottle every now and then when DD gets in one of those phases. It works in about a day. Good Luck!
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 4:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I forgot to add, that you must say No (or whatever you use) immediately before the stream hits. You also need to make sure it's an IMMEDIATE reaction. You may have to hook the bottle to a belt loop or something. If you squirt after the scream has ended, you just end up confusing the child.
    AndrisMom

Answer by AndrisMom at 4:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• AndrisMom, LOL! My SIL had to do this with her 10 year old! She would start screaming and crying whenever SIL told her to do her chores, clean her room, do her homework, what ever. It was serious attitude problem, nothing more. Though, SIL didn't have a spray bottle. She just kept a water bottle in the fridge with one of the pop up tops, and would squirt her in the face with it. (My niece would just scream louder and longer when told to stop, and actually punched a hole in the wall when SIL physically moved her to her room.) It pissed my niece off enough she'd stop, and SIL could usually talk her out of the mood, and get her to do what she was supposed to do.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 4:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• If its screaming to get his way, ignore it. Tell him you will speak with him when he is done screaming, and walk away. When he has calmed, tell him you understand that he is frustrated, but you cannot understand what he is saying when he screams.

If he is screaming for attention or just for fun, tell him screaming is for outside. Then take him outside, and scream with him. Encourage him to get it all out while he is outside. Any time he screams, tell him it is for outside, and go immediately outside.

Something else--I noticed when I stopped yelling, DD calmed down. So if you're a screamer too, you need to lead by example.

epoh

Answer by epoh at 5:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009