How do I tell my kids I got a girlfriend??

I'm a single mom of a 7 year old and a 4 year old. I recently got a girlfriend. They've met her, but just as a friend. My mom says I'm selfish and we will have problems because of society and whatnot. I'm not as concerned with that; I'm just wondering how to explain to my girls (who have been raised in church) that mommy has a girlfriend..?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• Just be honest. Honesty is the best policy in my opinion good luck.
    rachel_07

Answer by rachel_07 at 4:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• children are very accepting. What's to explain? I don't think at their age they will understand words but they will understand actions. Just show them the love of the relationship. When they get older and you still want to talk with them then do so. Kids are smart too. They will figure it out. Kids just want to be around love and kindness and respectful ppl who treat them well and appreciate them and they will respond in kind.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Children understand love. Tell them that you have been given a special friend to love the way some mommys and daddys do. Also, you can get them some books from the library about children with gay/lesbian parents.

Congratulations on your new relationship.

ImLunaEnchanted

Answer by ImLunaEnchanted at 4:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• hi i have a wife and 2 girls as well. just be honest i told mine we can love who our hearts want us to love. i was very honest and my 9 year old told me mommy at least your happy now i was amazed. tell them if they wanna know anything or if they have ??s just ask you. its about being honest when we are gay in todays world. our children will always love us regardless... congrats on your new relationship

shannonmarie759

Answer by shannonmarie759 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• how would you explain it to them if you had a boyfriend? its the same thing, just different genders
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 6:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Just tell them the truth. I wouldn't be in a hurry though, relationships come and go and kids get hurt by Mom's "friends" coming and going in their lives. Make sure she's a keeper. Your kids will love you whether your gay or straight. Good luck Mom!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Just be honest. They will catch on.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 8:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• You know today we were explaining to my son about love.

We explained how sometimes women love women and marry them and it's ok because anything to do with love and not hurting someone is good.

We also had to explain how men love men sometimes and marry them as well and it's no big deal.

People are people and there shouldn't be rules about who can love who.

We did also explain that there are others who disagree and sometimes are very mean to lesbians and gay men.

sometimes even hurt them because they don't agree and that he needs to know that it's wrong to be hurtful to others because of who they love.

He seemed to grasp it and was asking a lot of questions.

cont'd
    HazyPerception

Answer by HazyPerception at 8:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• He's a very bright child sort of like a little adult so he asked how do two men or two women have babies and we explained.

We also explained to him for the first time about his Aunt and Uncle ( Dad's half brother and sister ) are both gay & lesbian

that his aunts are married to each other and both have babies from the
    " tadpole bank "

gosh it was a long talk but he understands and we know we are teaching him that no love no matter what color or gender is bad

cont'd
    HazyPerception

Answer by HazyPerception at 8:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• well...unless it involves an elder and a minor then that's a whole conversation.

Be honest it won't hurt them and it will make things more comfortable for you and your girlfriend don't stress the others live life for you positively!

p.s

both my son's uncle and aunts are estranged from the family mostly from my hubby's parents

we haven't met them ( son & I ) but a reunion is in the works at least by my hubby's efforts because he didn't have anything to do why they left the family.

good luck
    HazyPerception