• In the Spotlight:

Not the typical God Parents?

I want to ask our friends to be God Parents, not typical God Parents though. I guess more for the title and we are always around each other. They mean the world to my husband and I. I want them to know that if something really unfortunate happened to my husband and I they would not take care of our son. We live 2000 miles away from our families. If something happened to us my sister would take custody of our son so he would be close to both of our families. I want your thoughts on what you think about this. Thank you ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• We asked our friends to be godparents for the same reasons as you-I guess we just always wanted them to be a part of our child's life since they were so important in our lives and we wanted them to have the that title:)

This was a mistake:( We don't even talk to those friends anymore, which is crazy considering we have been friends with them our whole lives. People get busy and lives change:( If we could do it over again I would only give a family member that title. Friends come and go and your family is forever,whether you like it or not lol.

Your situation could be very different from mine, but I would really think about what you are considering and weigh the pros and cons. Someday I am going to have to explain to my child that we just kind of lost touch with his godparents and thats unfortunate!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't do it, because it seems to go against the whole point of being god parents.
    Anonymous

• God parents are charged with spiritual guidance of the child, traditionally. I went to a christening today and they didn't say anything about the godparent's role. Explain to them why you are chosing them. My SIL was our DD godmother to give her an honor. We wouldn't trust he to take care of our daughter but she is close to my husband and my brother was godfather. He is the one to take care of our children if something happens to us but he is an atheist. Do what you think is best. Anything goes these days. I think alot of people do that.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 6:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• In our case the people who we chose as Godparents for our children will NOT be our choices for actually raising our children should my husband and I die. We have explicit instructions in our respective wills as to whom the family members will be in order of preference.

The Catholic church IMO has not kept up with the times as far as the roles of Godparents. Who you chose is NOT a legal document, it has no bearing on who you actually leave them in the care of after you are gone.

If you don't want to tell your Godparents your true wishes, then don't--just make it clear in your wills. You'll be gone by then, and won't have to deal with "hurt feelings."
    Anonymous