Not typical God Parents (PIOP)

I want to ask our friends to be God Parents, not typical God Parents though. I guess more for the title and we are always around each other. They mean the world to my husband and I. I want them to know that if something really unfortunate happened to my husband and I they would not take care of our son. We live 2000 miles away from our families. If something happened to us my sister would take custody of our son so he would be close to both of our families. I want your thoughts on what you think about this. Thank you ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• We did the same thing. Im not religious in any way at all. So for my daughter Hayden we chose my husbands best friend and his sister. And for the soon to be baby we chose his brother and wife. If anything were to ever happen to us.My children would go to my husbands Mom Or (maybe his brother and wife,depends on where thay are in life). I just did it for the title and they people we chose know that.. You can do it how ever you want :)

ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 4:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My son has a Godmother just like that, a lot of people do it that way, it doesn't have to be traditional.
    thisloveofmine

Answer by thisloveofmine at 5:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My mom wanted to have my daughter christened, and for that I asked my brother to be her godfather and my friend Sara to be her god mother because my brother was the only male she was around, her dad wasnt in the picture yet, and my friend Sara was the only one besides my small family that was helping me even though if anything was to happened to me she would go her father or his mother because no one in my family could better, money wise, take care of her.
    RiverKyla

Answer by RiverKyla at 5:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Here in NOLA the traditional names for "Godparents" are "Nanny" and "Paran"- I suppose it's a cajun thing (I'm not Cajun, but my husband and both sides of his family are... to the extent that they speak cajun french when they don't want me to hear them >=( ) We aren't really the religious type, but we named a Nanny and Paran anyway for our DS. The original reason for Godparents was two people chosen to help ensure a child continues on their religious path should anything happen to their parents (at least that's what my Catholic friends tell me)- so we figured we would do the same, only DS's Nanny and Paran would be there to ensure that DS gets proper home and education should something happen to us.
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 5:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Godparents roles are also to help with raising children. Being a positive influence in their lives and to be there in times of need and help guide them. The meaning of a Godparent can change depending on your beliefs. Just be sure that you let the Godparents know what you expect from them and all is well! I think that your situation fits this quite well since your family is so far away and cannot help you with being role models so your friends are a great choice in my opinion!
    artistapril

Answer by artistapril at 5:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Since we don't belive in god, we named "guide-parents." We have legal documents that state that should both my husband and I die at the same time, our best friends will take our daughter. They agreed to also take any other children we have. :) Legally, they will be her guardians.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 7:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• The role of a Godparent is to help raise the child in your faith spiritually. If you are not religious, there is no point in having Godparents. You can simply name these people in your will as the guardians you have chosen for your child should something happen to you.
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 7:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2009