• In the Spotlight:

my child just turned 6 and i have agreed to invite some of his classmates over to play. we are somewhat isolated and he has no friends around where we live, so how long is appropriate for the first play time. he wants to eventually have a little slumber party. please give some guide lines. he is an only child

he is six, we had a halloween party so i have met most of the parents. want to invite the boys on a saturday

kyndle

Asked by kyndle at 4:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd schedule a 3 hour block, from 2-5. That way, you aren't responsible for a whole meal, and can just feed a snack and let them play. Parents can pick them up before it gets dark.
    My DDs had slumber parties at 6, but only had about 4 guests.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 4:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I agree no more then 3 that is about all they can handle. I have never done slumber parties here and the one sleep over my son went on this past summer he broke his arm at the local pool the next day. So needless to say that ended that for a while.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 5:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think he can handle any amount of time, but what can you realistically handle? A group of kids in your house is risky business. Kids tend to think they don't have to listen when their parents aren't around. Seriously think about how many kids you want running around at your house and be ready for impulsive behaviors. Also, structure their play time so that you can have control over what they do and when they do it, but let your son choose the activities. I wrote an interesting post on my blog about things you can do when you invite kids over if you wanna take a quick peek.

http://www.majesticchild.com
    majesticchild

Answer by majesticchild at 7:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Two or three hours is a good time length. Im leaning more towards two hours. You could offer a snack after the first hour. Mabey do this a couple times before a sleepover. So the kids get used to you and your house rules. It may make everyone more comfortable.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• It kind of depends on how many kids you're having over, but I'd say about 2 hours is good, especially for the first time. As far as slumber parties go, I think 6 is still a little young for that unless it's kids you know well, and know their parents well.
    pbgibson

Answer by pbgibson at 8:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• In my opinion, It is always easier for my son who is 8, to have one friend over at a time. They like to play wii and playstation and most of the games are 1 or 2 player games. Also, the times we have had 3 kids, someone is always feeling left out. So I usually have one child at a time, and for the amount of time, I keep it to the 3-4 hour mark. I always have a snack on hand because they are always hungry :) As for what to do, the visitor gets to choose first, then its my sons turn. As for sleepovers, we do not do them, nor do our friends, but we live close enough to walk to each others homes, so we see a lot of our friends. These rules usually work well for us. Hope they help you.
    moebonner

Answer by moebonner at 9:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2009