Walking the "children"..?

Sorry..I just had to vent (probably to the wrong ppl though)..Everytime I go out and see toddlers on a "leash"..it disturbs me. I have never done it, considered it, or WILL ever. Can parents not make their children understand rules and understand there are guidelines..even as toddlers. It has to start sometime, right? Anyone want to comment (or bash) I know it's coming.

sydsmom2

Asked by sydsmom2 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I hate them 2!!! If you wanna use a leash get a PUPPY! geeez..Its like the parent is just to darn lazy to tell the child no or chase them..uuug
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 5:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• wow lol.. thats just stupid...

i know about those learning-to-walk-leashes. you know, like a belt u put around the kids belly and then you dont have to bend over when u learn them walking. i actually had one of those, because i had a really bad back surgery and couldnt bend over. so that was an awesome help for me.

but i only used it a couple times, my DD didnt really like it so i had to deal with the back pain ;) haha

but no, they should teach their kids to listen so they dont have to keep them on a leash. i think thats just stupid.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Sometimes a toddler's impulses get the best of them--no matter how well you discipline your child.

I am extremely AP, but if I needed to keep my child safe, I would take needed measures--even if it meant using a leash.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 5:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I've read enough responses from parents to be able to say it's not stupid. You don't know the parents, you don't know the circumstances, you don't know their choices. It's a choice they make that neither your nor I made, but that doesn't make it stupid. Stupid would be the parent who tells the 3 year old to run through the parking lot to see who can get to the mall the fastest and then wonders why the kid was hit by a car. That is stupid. But trying to remain in control as your child learns to walk? Not stupid, just different. Please have grace for parents who make different choices than you.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 5:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• not to bad mouth anybody elses decision but i'd never use one on my child. the first time i saw it i thought it was crazy to put something like that on your child, they aren't an animal. now, m.robertson, i'd see where it helped you when you had surgery.

kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 5:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I belong to another forum and this was discussed over a year ago . . . its opinions from all over the world . . . thought you might fid this interesting!!!

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=627662&highlight=leashes
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I'm not one to judge...especially since I haven't made it to that age with my little girl. I will say, however, that I think all children are different and despite best efforts at teaching their children, I suspect some parents have a genuine need for a leash...at least for a brief point in time. I would much rather a parent err on the side of caution. My daughter is only 9 mo. old and I can already see she is going to be the type that leaps before she looks. I don't plan on using a leash...but I will do what I have to do to keep her safe.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• i dont think it that bad of an idea, especially in a crowded place. like mentioned above, sometimes there is no controlling a toddler's impulses. there are many parents who just let their kids roam free and they could get hit by a car or kidnapped. .. i have a 15 month old and a 2 week old, its helpful for when i take them out and my oldest wants to walk. to each their own...
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 5:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I've never used one because I don't agree with them but like JPsmommy said, maybe there were other circumstances going on. IDK, JMO.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• well as a foster parent I have had all kinds of kids and most of them not well behaved to start with but I have never felt the need of leases. if I can't hold their hand and keep them under control then I should not be taking them out until we both learn what we are doing.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 5:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2009