Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Freaking out!!!!!!!

Ok we live in an old farm house (remodeled) and my bf is re-doing my kids room..... so he has the floor tore out and I could see into the wall and I asked what is all that in the wall.....??? and he said you dont wanna know and I said oh just tell me and he said ESPHESTUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How much does it actully take to get sick?? he is up there digging around in it and then my kids are going in there when the room is done. Im really scared can my kids get sick just by sleeping in this room when its done?? is my BF gonna get sick from doing this?? my great grampa died in his 60's from Esphestus poisening does anyone know if my kids are gonna get sick from sleeping in the room?? HELP

Answer Question
 
scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

Level 3 (16 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • I would recommend getting it all OUT. Have professionals come in.
    Autumn22

    Answer by Autumn22 at 5:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • it is the dust of removing it that is a problem it should be removed by a profesional once sealed it will not be a problem for your kids but it would be better to get it out.
    Lyndall

    Answer by Lyndall at 5:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • The whole house is probably full of it. (In the walls).It coast a lot of money to get it taken out.If your willing to get it done

    louise2

    Answer by louise2 at 5:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • It's called asbestos and you need a professional. If it actually is asbestos. You're probably in trouble. I would call a professional contractor who can point you in the right direction. Asbestos is serious.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • Yes, it's asbestos. And usually it is harmless UNLESS it gets airborne from tearing it up. We had asbestos covering our old furnace ducts (from a gravity-heat furnace) and nobody would touch it without a special asbestos-removal company coming in first to get rid of it. New furnace & ductwork costs enof as it is, but having to get this other company was LOADS of extra expense. I would not allow the kids in there at all until after he's done and you are sure the room is completely free of asbestos floating in the air.
    PSMother

    Answer by PSMother at 6:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • Asbestos? I'd get a professional to remove it. If it's been disturbed, I'd move out and not let him work without a respirator. Good luck!
    shmorris56

    Answer by shmorris56 at 6:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • you this is dangerous!!! YOu can actually die from that. MY kids would not sleep in a room that had that
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • Here is a great website on asbestos:

    http://www.sbcapcd.org/biz/asbestos.htm
    AprilDJC

    Answer by AprilDJC at 10:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

  • You can actually get ill just from being around someone who has worked with asbestos. It is strange that I noticed this post because we almost bought the house we are renting but it has asbestos covering our furnace ducts just as a PP did. We are moving out at the end of this month because we cannot afford to get the asbestos taken care of as well as put in a high efficiency furnace...too much to do just to buy a house. I reccommend you get a team in there to clean it up but in the mean time have you your bf KEEP THE ASBESTOS WET if he insists on still working on it. It is the DUST that harms your lungs and IF IT IS WET IT CAN"T BLOW AROUND. This is the information I was given by our local building inspector. Good Luck!
    Betc04

    Answer by Betc04 at 7:44 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

  • If it is undisturbed in the wall it is not realy a problem...it is when it is disturbed that it is a problem because it creats dust and fibers that get into your lungs. So right now, while he is working on it, that is when it could create a problem.
    BJoan

    Answer by BJoan at 9:08 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.