Obama Question - 1/2 white - Offensive?

This question is mainly for mamas with darker skin. Does it OFFEND you when somebody says, "well, he's 1/2 white"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Thank you Lyndall. He is a chameleon. When he played to white wealthy donators at dinners and events he was very white and his swagger disappeared. In Chicago, he was all about the streets. He is what he needs to be at the time.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• No. Im half Hispanic and say it all the time. It doesnt offend me. If youre half something youre half something.

Answer by gemgem at 5:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think the better question is do whites get offended when he denies that is mother is white and calls himself black. he is biracial and should call himself that. He is not the first black president he is the first biracial president.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 5:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Ya know I hadn't thougt about it until I read your response Lyndall. He IS really doing a great disservice to the future true black president we will one day have. That one first real black President will not receive the historical glorification that he/she should because a biracial man stole the limelight. New topic!!
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• So we could say he is half typical white person?
    misskimmy62

Answer by misskimmy62 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• This could be easily said either way. What if he says someone says he's half black?
    Would that offend me though? No because he IS half black and he IS half white. What's so offensive about it?
    It's the truth. He is NOT black. He IS biracial. He is NOT white either. He is half and half.
    Anonymous

• Lyndall you said a mouthful...My moms said we're going to have our first black president. All I could say was.....but he isn't black. He is biracial, and I don't understand why he doesn't call himself that. He needs to be proud of everything he comes from. Not just one side.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I feel that if you are one nationality or ten you should embrace all aspects of your heritage. My sons are both half white and one is half Hispanic while the other is half black. I want them to embrace all of their cultures and I feel that I would be doing my children a disservice to not give them self pride in not only who they are as individuals but their heritages as well. I am white and I raised my eldest on my own for the first year and a half of his life and I am a wonderful mother to both of my sons and if my sons felt the need to hide or deny the white part of themselves then I would feel that I failed them somewhere along the line. Otherwise what reason would they have to deny that part of themselves. I do agree that he should be labeled the first bi-racial president and some articles actually do b/c that is a part of who he is and it should be nothing to be ashamed of.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 6:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• misskimmy62 - "So we could say he is half typical white person? "

No, we could say he's typical half black person, too.

Frankly, I agree with anon 537 above - he's biracial and it should be left at that.
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 6:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I have mixed kids and I think if you're going to call him by his race, you ought to get it right and count all his heritage. I think it ought to be a non-issue though. No one made it a point to mention McCain was white when he threw in his hat for the election. We've come a long way in this country, but we could do to go a long way yet!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2009