Beauty Pagents and little girls!!!

I was watching TLC and saw previews for children beauty pagents. I personally think that it is a horrible exploitation of young girls. They are looked at as pieces of meat and it's gross. I feel it puts WAY too much emphasis on their outward appearances and not enough on the part that really matters...their hearts. Beauty is only skin deep. These mothers make me so upset. I think beauty pagents in general are the wrong message to be sending to our innocent little girls. Beauty isn't only what is on the inside. Anyone else agree with me here?

happyathomemum

Asked by happyathomemum at 5:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• throwing upThere you go anon, lol. I think that it is materializing your daughter. I think that when the little girl wins as she's being handed her flowers and being crowned, the announcer should say, "Congratulations, you have successfully been transforned into a trophy wife!"

micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 6:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think if a little girl really wants to do it, sure fine let her do it. But the exact minute that a girl doesn't want to do it anymore, her mom should be smart enough to put an end to it.

I think a lot of mothers just want to live out their dreams through their kids, and there's nothing good about that if their kids don't want to be involved.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• i totally agree with you. All of those fake smiles that those girls have to put on their little faces. I feel so sorry for them. :-(

Those shows/contests should be legal.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I agree and really how many of those little girls before they can talk told their mommys they wanted to do it. they put too much on the outside makeup wigs false lashes and teeth on 6 year olds. it is just sick.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 5:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Who is looking at them as a piece of meat?? I think the little girls look really cute and I actually like watching them:) The problems come in when the mothers are pushing them to do this, but I will say most mothers are guilty of this on way or another. Everyone wants the best for their children. I push flash cards and reading and some people find this wrong. So I guess I am no different than the mothers who are pushing for beauty...I just push for "smarts"
    Anonymous

• Did you see the Wife Swap episode on Friday where they were putting make up on a 14 month old, parading her around in a pageant and the dad and brother actually cried when the baby didn't win. OMG!
    I think that pageants can be done tastefully and for fun. I also think that some mothers get way too involved and carried away in them and they lose sight of what true beauty is.
    BTW, that baby on Wife Swap wasn't what I would call "beautiful." She was cute, like most all babies are cute. She just wasn't all that gorgeous though.
    Anonymous

• I think it's horrible. It reminds me of drag shows. Someone aping female looks and behavior. Little girls shouldn't wear make up or couture. They shouldn't walk or stand like women, they're little girls. I would much rather see the drag show, at least those guys didn't have the drag shoved down their throats and they made an informed decision about it. Those little girls are made up for the gratification of adults and that's sick. If you don't like it, you're probably a freakish pageant Mom and I don't care!

shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Shmorris56..I hope that last part of your comment was not directed toward me. I very clearly stated in my question that I thought it WAS indeed disgusting.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 6:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I think it just seems like too much too soon... I'd rather see a little girl playing with her mommy's makeup and dressing up for fun on her own then being primped and fussed over to win prizes. I can see where it teaches little girls confidence and to have poise and other qualities like that, but personally, I'm all for kids just being kids, growing up and running around in the yard and playing in the dirt. :o)
    Amanda_Jeanne

Answer by Amanda_Jeanne at 6:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• where is the lil puking sweet pea when you need one just effing disgusting LOOKS especially Fake synthetic looks are not important just foder for pediphiles yuk
    Anonymous