• In the Spotlight:

How do I explain this?

OK so my oldest daughter is 9 and I've already talked to her about some of the basics and I'm preparing myself to talk to her again but in a little more age appropriate detail. But what I'm having the most trouble with is bring up explaining HOW TO USE feminine products. And I know that this should be a rather easy conversation between us but any suggestions for an already stressed mom would be appreciated. Thanks Ladies!!!!!

LovingParent08

Asked by LovingParent08 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• What you do is have the talk. Explain how the body changes, how she will bleed every mth etc. Bring her to the drug store or walmart or where ever you get your supplies and take her to the aisle where they have the items. Show them to her and have her pick out a couple packages. Taken them home and get some underwear out and show her how she would put them on without her having the underwear on obviously. Then have her practice. After that leave them with her and tell her when she starts, if it is soon, she will have them and know how to use them.

Answer by gemgem at 5:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My mom gave me the insert to the tampon box and told me to read it : / Of course, I didn't start using tampons until I was much older. She just told me how to open a pad and position it in my panties, no big deal.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I would think the best time to bring it up is when you start talking about changes and her period then you can explain that the blood leaves her body and thats when she will se a pad to keep herself clean and you can talk about ti but don't be surprised if she already knows more than you think. the comercials don't leave much to the immagination.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 5:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I was going to say tell your DD to read the box. But some one already said something like that.
    About the use of pads and plugs. I would wait tell she has a period first. But that's just me

Answer by louise2 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I didn't want to have to do what my mom did for me. She actually put my first one in for me and I just can't imagine doing that to my daughter. And I know that probably sounds terrible, but I think it would be even more awkward for both of us than the actual talking itself.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My Mom helped me put the first one on and then we went to the store and she showed me all the kinds of pads they had and what would probably be best for me and what I should avoid. That's what I did with my eldest daughter and it worked out great. When she asked about tampons a year later, I explained them and took her to the store and examined them too. We bought the ones for teens that were tiny. I don't think it needs to be all that nerve wracking.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 6:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• You're right, if you've talked about the basics this will be easy. You can get info from your doctor or on the internet to help you. She'll have a class on this at school, when you get the paper for it you can talk about what you are comfortable with at that time., and tell her you would like to talk about the class with her after she has it. The most important thing is to let her know she can come to you with whatever questions she may have. Kids are very young when they begin asking questions, the first one is usually where do babies come from. I've always answered exactly what they ask without going into any more detail...when they are ready for more info they will ask. So talking about these sometimes difficult questions is easy because the lines of communication have been open. You sound like a good mom that wants to give her the right information, you will do fine...stop worrying. :)
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 6:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I've talked with my girls from very young age. My mom handed me a book and never talked with me. I started my period at my best friend's house, hysterical cuz I thought I was dying even though my mom gave me a book to read. Oh come to think about it the book actually was on sex and birth, not monthly beyond pregnancy. Very cold book. So I knew if I had girls I'd be open w/ them. I told them very early when they were more grown up one day they'd bleed between their legs and it'd be scary wasn't a sickness, it'd happen almost ev.mo. I also told them that the bleeding someday might help a baby to grown in one of them but every woman who bleeds monthly doesn't make babies.I went on to tell them of many ways to nurture and have children in life w/o making babies: work/volunteer with infants, children.Just be matter of fact.It's really not hard.
    Anonymous

• My mom told me when I got it to tell her...and she showed me how a pad went into my panties...she said try pads first and as soon as you want to try tampons I'll explain it to you...so when I got it I wasn't shy at all I was all excited...and when I was ready to try a tampon she stood outside the door and walked me through it...it worked great for me!
    AustinR3MySon

Answer by AustinR3MySon at 10:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My mom didn't tell me about it and when I got it (AT 9 FRIGGIN years old!!) I told her....I was really worried.....and she got on the phone and called her parents and brothers and sisters and her bff. I wanted to DIE!!!

I have been talking to my 12 yr old about it since she was 8. I figured she would have been young like me and she freaks out at the sight of blood and I didn't want her to be scared. I "refresh" her about it every once in a while, but so far, she hasn't gotten it.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 12:47 AM on Jan. 12, 2009