He asked "If an illegal immigrant can get work, why can't you?"

This is NOT a debate and it is not to cut anyone down. Lately I've had problems finding a job and someone told me "So many illegals can find a job, I'm surprised that you can't since you're an American." That made me really mad. Would you be offended?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• No I wouldn't be offended:) I think the statement is hilarious and sadly enough there is a grain of truth to it!
    Anonymous

• Nope/

Answer by gemgem at 5:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• i totally understand that.

im german, hubby is american. embassy denied my visa extention. but yet they still dont to anything about the illegal immigrants. i paid so much money on the visa ect and they just had a bad day and said "no. not your time yet" (basically). but the govt. accepts those illegas in the country. how fair is that?! now we live in germany, easier and cheaper with the papers for and from the govt. ;)

so i know how that feels. and i know exactly what that person who said that to you meant. and its true. i wish you good luck on your job search!!! :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• It wouldn't make me personally offended but it would make me angry because it is true. When they will work for cheaper pay, not need insurance, not need to be reported for taxes and such of course they are going to be hired first. That is why something needs to be done about this issue.
    Anonymous

• Obviously they aren't educated on the way the job market works. Illegal immigrants are willing to work for WAY less and therefore get hired more often then not. Americans are required, by law to be paid at least minimum wage, therefore employers don't want to hire them. I wouldn't be offended at all, I would tell them that the reason YOU aren't getting the job is because THEY are taking them!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Yeah I'd be offended. I think you should be able to oust an illegal alien and take his job if you want it. Hell, they're breaking the law just by being in the country and breaking another law just by working. Criminals shouldn't be able to have our jobs. If you can't find work, I'm sorry, just keep trying. What else can you do?
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 6:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I would not be offended,it is true. It is easy to get a job. There are so many opportunities.In America,we are so fortunate. In different countries, some children have to walk miles to even get water and over 17,000 people die daily. It is easy to find a job of course it may not be something you enjoy, but at least is is work and can help you move ahead. A job is better than no job. Maybe even start your own business home or office cleaning,selling Avon, or doing childcare. If that is not an option, malls have hundreds of stores. Try Macys, Dillards, or Victorias Secret.
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I wouldn't be offended that the person made the statement. I am offended at the US Gov'ts lazy behaviour and inability to enforce laws on people who enter illegally and/or over stay.
    My husband had to sign papers saying he would support me to 10 years with no govt assistance to be allowed to have me move to the US and get married. I have a degree in computing and can support myself.
    They work illegally, pay no taxes, use someone elses SSN if they need one, and get free healthcare. Of course they will get a job over someone in the US legally. Costs less.
    Help unemployment! Send all the illegals home.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• No, I wouldn't be offended. It's just another sad truth.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Sounds like the truth to me.. The reason an employer would hire an illegal versus someone who isnt, is because they can pay the illegal SO much less than what they would have to pay you.. Just another sad truth.. Dont be offended..
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 2:17 AM on Jan. 12, 2009