What kind of juice do you give your baby & when?

My baby turned 6 months today. I don't want to give him juice till he is 12 months. I only give him water in the sippy cup. I have never given him sugar water. I don't think he needs sugar till he's 3 or so. I also thought we were not suppose to give applejuice. I am trying. I also need advice on food...

Babybubbles711

Asked by Babybubbles711 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can give your little one specific baby juice. there are juices u can give them starting at 4months already :) but ONLY BABY JUICE. ;-)

i never gave and never will give my daughter plain water. What for?!
    have baby tea for my daughter since she is 2months old. fennel baby tea.
    you make it with water. and thats the only water she gets... i wouldnt feel good giving her only water without any taste.. hehe.. and she doesnt like that. coz my mom tried that once :P

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Apple Juice is good. There is no need to give them the baby kind...just make sure you get a high quality Apple Juice that lists only apple juice and absorbic acid (vitamin C) as ingredients. However, white grape juice causes less upset stomach than apple juice...so if your baby is sensitive...go with White Grape Juice. (Same thing...grape juice and absorbic acid should be the only ingredients). As with anything, you should introduce new foods and drinks using the 4 day rule. Give small amounts once or twice a day for 4 days before introducing anyting else new. This way, if your baby has a food reaction ...you know which food was the culprit. I make all my own baby food...so I've done a lot of research on this topic. Feel free to email me.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 6:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I gave watered apple and grape juice at 7 mos. Only about 2-4 oz of watery juice a day. Like you I give mostly water in the sippy cup. Not giving the baby juice won't hurt them at all. Just give fruit everyday.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 6:17 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I give my 7 month old apple juice in a sippy cup. less then 1 oz and not every day. I'm doing it so he get's practice with a sippy cup, which he finds way more fun then his bottle to hold for himself.
    Anonymous

• I did not give my little one juice until he was 13 months old. When I did start giving it to him I gave 3 oz of water and 1 oz of juice. i did not feel he needed the sugar. He loves water and I think if I only gave him juice he would not drink water. I have friends that gave their babies juice at an early age and now they will not drink water. It's really your personal preference. I just choose not to give them a lot of juice.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 7:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I didn't give juice to my son until he was a year old. He had nothing but breastmilk until 6 months. If you want baby to practice with other fluids give a bit of water. It's much better than juice and will teach baby to like water early which is a good habot to have. Too much juice is not a good thing. See this link : http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/baby-juice.html
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I never give my babies juice. They get milk with meals, and water when finished eating to wash their mouth out,and water throughout the of the day. I'm a dental hygienist and have witnessed the havoc juice has on the teeth. Also gotta watch out, juice is so very high in sugar. My kids suck down water all day long, they love it.
    doublefistin

Answer by doublefistin at 8:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• juice is not necessary at all. if he likes the water, then stick with that.
    also, if he's breastfed than the water isn't even necessary.

general info on solids: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• my little girl has been drinking waterd down baby juice since she was 6 months old
    cloegrace

Answer by cloegrace at 7:57 PM on Jan. 12, 2009