myspace and kids

Am I the only one who feels like it is wrong for a eleven year old little girl to have a myspace? My ex and his wife keep going behind my back and telling my daughter she can have one after I said no. Yes I keep reporting it to myspace to delete her page, but everytime she's over there for a visit, they let her.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• No I dont think its wrong. My kids have all had them for sometime. I just make them keep them private and use setting so no one over 18 can contact them, make them give me their email and password and understand I will be in charge of it. If I see anything I dont think is alright itll be deleted.

Answer by gemgem at 5:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Well, myspace requires that you are at least 13 to have one. So, that's a violation of the rules to begin with. Second of all, there are A LOT of predators on Myspace........sounds horrible, but it's true, and therefore I completely agree with you as to not allowing an 11 y/o to have one.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I'm very uncomfortable with it. My step daughters have them, thanks to their mom, but at least they are 13 and 15. I have their login information and they know that I use it. An 11 year old is simply not mature enough to truly understand the danger. Not only that, but they are teaching her that it's ok to break the rules. Not cool.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 6:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• It is wrong and it's even against myspace rules. What morons they are. Is your daughter aware of how you feel about it? And yet she keeps going behind your back and setting one up. She can say no she doesn't want one. I'd be talking to my kid. You can't make the rules at their house. But I do agree with you, she is too young to have one.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I don't see the problem, but if you do they shouldn't let her make a page. That's just shitty of them.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 6:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I agree with you totally. My kids (6, 9 &10) use the computer but only with supervision (meaning me or DH are in the living room) and there are only a few websites they can go to. Club Penguin, Ty Girlz Club and they're allowed to play some of the games we have like checkers, solitare, etc. But as far personal email accounts, NO. Maybe when they're 16, but definitely not at 11.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 6:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• What does your court order say? Does it say your ex has the right to make parenting choices and what not? does it say that you are not allowed to interfere? You could be riding a slippery slope here if they plan to ever go after custody. At age 12 judges do listen to the kids and they are already befriending her seems like to me. Second I know with mine lets say I let my son play Guitar Hero at my house but their dad doesnt let them at their home. He cannot tell me my kids cannot play guitar hero in my home. And I cannot make him allow them to at his house. At the same time he isnt allowed to go online to any site they have a profile (forum etc) and delete it bc it was allowed and something we do in our home. Just be careful. It could be a set up.
    Anonymous

• I try to tell her about preditors being online. The dad knows I say no, I am the primary decision maker. And no, the judge in my state will not speak to any child of any age that has to do with the case, it's clearly written all over on signs in the family court. I've been trying to get ahold of him about this and a couple other issues and he won't answer the phone. Set up? Very possible, but highly doubtful of success. The judge will see the games he's playing cause he didn't even approve of a new parenting plan that he wanted because it didn't make any sence anyways.
    Anonymous

• I'd talk to your ex idiot, he has no right undermining your authority. Your daughter is old enough to know that when you say no, you mean no, it doesn't matter where she is at. My daughter has one which I wasn't thrilled about initially. I check her page before she is allowed on it, there are 3 other adults in the house who keep track of it as well. She knows about the dangers and respects the limits I give her. She's not allowed to chat with anyone, she's very well aware of the fact that it may not be a 13 yo girl on the other end. The bottom line though is if you've said no, it's no, and your ex needs to be made aware of that fact.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 6:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I find it sad that so many people are bashing the ex...he is the father, just as she is the mother, instead of making a huge deal out of this work togather to find a compromise. Is 11 to young, I don't know, ,mine have had thiers for years, one was probably 12 when she got it. Myspace is only a scary thing for parents if they aren't willing to be involved in thier childs page, it involves the parents having very clear guidlines. I got a page so I could learn how to manuever and work it. I have all passwords and codes. They were set to private when they were younger, and we had very frank discussions about it, only people they knew were allowed to be thier friend. Why does your DD want one? Is it to stay connected to friends and family (family is why they got thier page originally)? Or is it because everyone else does?

luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 7:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2009