potty training

my son is 20 months and i'm due to have another boy in april. i would really like to get my son to use the potty before the new baby is born. what age was yours when you potty trained your little one? and was it hard?

SpringMommy07

Asked by SpringMommy07 at 6:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son has been potty playing since he was about 14 months old. He can go but he isnt' great at communicating it yet and mostly he just doesn't like to have clothes on of any kind. You can try to potty train... Introduce it for sure. But I wouldn't put too much pressure on. Pressure only seems to make it worse imo. Also, I have two in diapers (8 mo and 25 mo) and one due in July. It isn't as bad as it seems- having two in diapers. Just change em at the same time, kwim?

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 6:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• You can try but if he's not ready, it won't work. He needs to be fully trained at least 3 months BEFORE the baby arrives or the stress of the new baby will cause him to completely quit. Training a child within 3 months of a large, known change in the household (new baby, new house, even new pet) is one of the big no-nos.

Get a good potty training book and ready the "is he ready" section. If he's ready, give it a try. And remember, kids fully take over potty tasks at the same age - so you can start training him months before he is ready or you can wait until he is. He'll learn when he is ready no matter what you do.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2009