What is child birth like?

I know it probably hurts alot, but can it be dangerous for me and the baby even though it's a natural thing?

mejilly

Asked by mejilly at 6:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• There is so much research you need to do :) And not just looking on BabyCenter or one of those popular sites. I would check out some of the groups here... There are "birth is natural" and other groups to gain perspective from. The rest you should consult with your doctor about if you have one already. Any fact you hear... Google it, Yahoo it, and go to the library on it :) Double check everything. I have no complaints with either of my births. I chose to do an epidural. I chose to be at a hospital with an OB. But my small town had limited choices. And I did not research before I was induced the first time. I waited with the second one (til 5 days late lol) and it was a much easier time. It's worth it to do your homework well in advance. Good Luck! The best part is the end when you hear your baby cry for the first time and know that no matter what you have been through, it was ALL worth it!

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 6:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• yes things can go wrong. It is very important to have a good OB who you trust and to be open to ideas from the hospital staff while you are in labor. It is a natural thing but you must remember that it is a traumatic event for both you and baby and not to be taken lightly. If you have never done it before, educate yourself as much as possible. READ and ASK QUESTIONS!!
    Anonymous

• yes, it can be dangerous. some babies get stuck so they have to do an emergency c-section. or the baby's heart beat will drop because of too much stress during birth.

but when you give birth in a hospital you are always on the save side. They know what to do in an emergency case.

i had a c-section. scheduled though, because of an infection that could have harmed my baby through normal birth.
    the pain of a c-section and the weeks i suffered after the c-section. i would rather give normal birth ten times ;)

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• yes it can be dangerous which is why we have a dr there and usually need to go to a hosp. You can lose alot of blood, the cord can be wrapped around the babies neck, you could need a csection, your blood pressure could sky rocket, and just so many things.

Answer by gemgem at 6:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Interventions are what makes child birth dangerous! I had a beautiful, pain free, natural birth at home with no complications, no problems, and I had an over 9 pound baby. My birth story is on my page.
    MonroeLoves82

Answer by MonroeLoves82 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Take all of the period cramps you haven't had in the last 10 months, and imagine "pooping" a small watermelon! No, really, I told myself each time (I have 4 kids) That it was going to hurt, pretty bad, but it had a beginning and an end, and at the end I was going to have the best reward ever! Everyone is there to help you, and you will get thru it.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 6:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Natural childbirth isn't really dangerous, no. BUT interventions are and knowing what to agree to is important. Those interventions add (Great, sometimes) risks.

I think that child birth is intense and hard work~ but hard for the mind to keep focusing on surrender. (It's easy to tense up and be afraid which makes it hurt and slows progress.) So staying focused is a big job.

Birth was TRULY a blast, too. Especially with my second baby. I really had a good time, laughing and talking with my DD & DH (who were in the tub with me).
    :-D

It's breath-taking and beautiful. Grounding and AWEsome. Intense and other-worldly.
    Like nothing you've done before.
    Ecstatic!!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• The most important thing to remember is that it IS going to hurt but it is for a reason. work WITH the pain and not against! make sure you have support and keep relaxed as possible. it will be the most amazing experience ever!!! have lots of pics and a video camera for as soon as the baby is born. I wish i would have done that.
    Softwater

Answer by Softwater at 7:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I'm confused, Aren't you asking for help with abortions? You also posted that you use your body to get things from me.... I think you need to reevaluate your posting habits. Although we are here to help one another, we don't need to get pulled into some make believe drama....
    Anonymous