I'm beginning to think I know more than the doctors! Does anyone else feel this way?

I can't name how many times the doctors have diagnosed me wrong before but it's sad when I go and do the research myself and find out what it is and they STILL try to say it's something else and then in the end it's what I said it was all along.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Health

• get some better doctors i guess ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• They would rather give you an incorrect diagnosis that to admit they don't know.
    I only go to the ones I have to now and use vitamins etc to get myself better.
    It's not worth wasting my time with a lot of them.
    I had one doctor (highly recommended specialist) challenge me with our son when I told him what work I had done with his diet and worked out his food sensitivities. He got right in my face and said "How do you know?"
    Gee because I live with the same problem and any allergist will recommend removing foods and reintroducing them slowly to track a reaction.... this moron told me to Feberize my kid who has screaming in pain at night. That idiot was so self involved he completely missed the fact that he has silent reflux!
    Anonymous

• My mom was very very sick in the hospital for many days (nowadays the hosp. hardly keeps you unless its life and death) but they couldn't find the prob. She had a rash that she mentioned to me, unrelated to the illness, or so we thot. I mentioned it to my sister who suggested it might be Lyme Disease (my sister was the 3rd registered case in Ga.) I went home, called the CDC in Colorado, who overnited me a package and said over the phone that they thot it was LD.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• continued...I read over the material and then presented it to her Doctor at the hosp. He said, "No! No reason to believe that she has LD." Even after showing him all the info. I think he was humiliated or something. I asked him to test her, even tho we knew it would come back negative (LD does this in the later stages), but to treat her for it anyway. He relunctantly agreed. She improved, but it was the treatment came too late so she suffered for many years. I have never forgotten his reaction or my suggestion.
    lifeasinoit

• doctors are just people guessing. too many people worship them like gods. and they rake in the bucks lets face it. i too have followed my heart and done m own research to diagnos and find treatment for my kids when necessary. we must advocate for ourselves and our children. there are good docs and health care proviers for sure, but they seem a rare breed indeed.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 10:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• yes, which is why I've decided to go to school to become one :o) I only wish I had thought of that at a younger age so I wont be 40 by the time I get to practice. I usually go in to the doctor and tell him what it is that is wrong with me and have paperwork to back it up (so he believes me) and I get my way. All I need from him is a script or referral to a specialist (for insurance purposes). Honestly, the best thing you can do when visiting a doctor for any reason is bring print-outs of what you have been researching on the internet so you can discuss it. Docs like it when you show an active role in your health.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Things like this happened to my mother she was told she did not have MS then 6 months later she was diagnosed.  We know our own bodies better than anyone especially when we are "in tune". Now a days Dr.'s are fearful of being sued, have tied hands due to HMO rules and regulations, and have outside interests such as pharmaceuticals that play a role in their decision making process. I choose to see my regular MD for testing results and overall check ups but supplement that with my Naturopathic Dr. whom helps me form a whole picture of health and my wheel of health that is not just my symptoms and drugs but what other alternatives there are to them etc. I have dozens of occasions where my ND has saved me time, suffering and worry. I am so thankful for my Dr. of choice vs my Dr. of Insurance.

massagegiftmom

Answer by massagegiftmom at 1:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2009