• In the Spotlight:

Is there any of you who have purchased a Dell computer and are having a really rough time with the payments raising?

I need to get info from anyone who may be able to help me. I purchased a Dell computer and have been making regular payments and now i still am getting a 39 dollar charge every month and am only paying 30 a month. I have had it over ayear and have made my payments every month but I can't seem to get them to listen to me they just keep adding fees HELP

Bosslady350

Asked by Bosslady350 at 6:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• Did you order it on line? If you did, then technically you did not sign any agreements. Call and tell them not to take any more money out of your account. Then don't send any more payments. Tip. If you file bankruptcy and you ordered it on line, they will write it off and you can keep the puter. Just don't tell them I told ya so.
    Anonymous

• You need to start moving up the ladder. A few years ago I worked for a large company, we purchased a dozen Dells for a project we were doing. They were calling one of the secretaries at home! When I called and asked why they couldn’t even find her phone number in the records.
    Finally I found out that Dell keeps separate files on everyone on every purchase, so one record could say that you own one amount where another record could say you own another amount with different contact numbers. The person you call can’t see the other record. Start asking for managers and then their manager. I tell people now “I’m a stay at home mom. I have nothing better to do with my day than move up the ladder.” Dell makes great computers, but they are a mess!
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 7:51 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• You could try writing them and explaining the situation. Let them know what has been happing and give them so long to correct the situation. If they don't then sue in small claims court. You shouldn't have to wait forever for them to fix a problem they created.
    SylviaNCali

Answer by SylviaNCali at 4:37 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• We've been paying on ours for about 3 years and even though the payments have slowly gone down we try to send in extra money when we can. They have a high interest rate which really takes a huge chunk of your monthly payment leaving very little to go towards the principle.
    Furthermore, when we had a problem with the computer programming due to whatever Dell had done to it they told us to ship it to them and they would fix it. It took them over a month and then they charged $500 to my account and the problem was never even fixed! I called to complain and they told me to send it back again. I asked if we would be charged the $500 again and they said yes, per their policy. I said forget it. We took it to a repair place and they told us the innards were composed of used computer parts. We'll never buy from Dell again! They are a rip-off!!!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:38 AM on Jan. 16, 2009