What to do with all these onions and potatoes?

Ok, this is silly, but I think onions and potatoes give me anxiety because I never know what to do with them and I hate to throw them out...its so wasteful.

It never seems like I can go through a whole bag of potatoes and I cook a lot. I make potato soup, baked potatoes, I grate them and make hash browns, I make scalloped potatoes, I make fried potatoes, I make mashed potatoes...what else do I do with these!!

Onions...well, I only bought a whole bag this time because they were on sale for a dollar. I put them in a lot of stuff, but I don't use a lot. For example this week I'll be putting one in a pot of chili, half of one in my potato soup, and half of one in my Shepard's pie. That's 2 and I don't know what to do with the other freakin 8 or so.

So any ideas? I like both, and they're cheap and flavorful...but I just don't know what to do with em!

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 6:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Shepards Pie....which contains both potatoes (mashed) and Onions (sauteed).
    usmcmom29

Answer by usmcmom29 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• Onion rings, potato salad, french fries and when all else fails drop them off at the local food bank. Food banks have no food right now to help the many people out of work and who have kids.

Answer by gemgem at 6:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I love potato pancakes... my grandfather made them with grated up potatos and onions, and then if you eat them with applesauce they're delicious!!!
    Amanda_Jeanne

Answer by Amanda_Jeanne at 6:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Thinly slice both the onions and the potatoes. Put a layer of potatoes in a greased casserole. Put a layer of onions on top, put some butter and salt and pepper over, and then repeat the layers as many times as you have potatoes and onions. (Don't put too much butter because that would make it too greasy). Bake for a while. It is very tasty.

Answer by Bmat at 7:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• mmm fry them up together. make some omlettes with the onions in them. we put onion in everything every day. i always bake more potatoes than i need when i bake and they fry up faster, can eat them as left overs....they last for a long time in the fridge after they are baked. so you haven't wasted them. make a bigger batch of potatoe soup and freeze it.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 8:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Potato Pancakes! Yum my dad used to make us those when we were kids I loved them, but I don't know how to make them will you tell me?
    Onions you can use with those cube steak things and some tomatoe sauce just cook them all together it is sooooo good.
    ednakrabapple

Answer by ednakrabapple at 8:55 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Gratin, latkes, home fries, you can always grate them and have them on hand for hash browns since you said you like making those. Par-boil them then finish them off in the grill after rolling them in olive oil and salt & pepper.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 9:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I do the layer thing Bmat was talking about but I put pork chops on top, all in one meal. I also cut a few potatoes into wedges sprinkle with olive oil and roll in onion soup mix then bake them. Onion last a long time, I've never had a bag go bad on me.
    ZakZaksmom

Answer by ZakZaksmom at 10:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• spanish tortilla. complicated to make but good. I use onions daily in salads. Potatoes not as much since my husband is carb consious, although he freel indulges in bread, etc. meatball soup has lots of pots and onions. they keep forever if you keep them separate. plus just cut the rotten parts away, or thickly peel the taters when nec. should be fine.
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 10:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Slice onions thickly and drizzle with oil (reg, olive or avocado, flavored or not), then season with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, and whatever seasoning is your favorite...we use one we get at the farmer's market that has dried lime, chili powder and garlic. Skewer and toss on the grill or put under the broiler (about 6 inches away from the heat) for a few min on each side.

You can also make onion soup, which takes a lot of onions and is soooo good. Or use them (and celery) to make a "rack" for roasts, whole chicken, etc. Chop some and freeze them for when you are making a quick meal and don't want to take the time to chop them up. You can also do celery and store them in the freezer together...the next time you want dressing/stuffing you're a step ahead!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 7:14 AM on Jan. 12, 2009