"Plastic" women

I cannot understand women who voluntarily get surgery, Botox or other means of trying to stay young. I guess I'm not into vanity that much to warrant the cost, pain and inconvenience it entails to "temporarily" make yourself look youg (these things generally do not last anyhow).

The other day, I ran into an old friend who was always naturally attractive growing up. Hadn't seen her in almost 5 years, but was shocked when I did. She quite obviously had some work done & gets Botox (you can tell she just had it done by the way she looked). It all looked so fake & I find it very unbecoming. She has gotten very thin in a gross way. She was always trim, but not sickly skinny like she is now.

I plan to grow old gracefully & if God gives me wrinkles, I take them gracefully. Just wondering how many women are pro or con with this issue?

TeensMom07

Asked by TeensMom07 at 6:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I don't agree with any of these practices. I think this country has gone waaaay to far to be forever young and beautiful. It's kind of strange that women want to hide becoming old when it should be something worn with pride. Becoming older and having children should be a badge of honor. It could signify wisdom and respect but instead it has become something to be feared and devalued. Sure...I have some stretch marks, my boobs arn't as "perky" as they used to be and when I smile, I have some little lines by my eyes but I've earned it through the years, damnit! I think women look a lot more beautiful au natural, personally.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 8:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Pro all the way. There are many surgeons who give you a very natural look that isn't fake looking.
    Anonymous

• I dont have a problem with women who want to look nice. Everyone has a different defination of what is attractive and what isnt. Some prefer being all natural, some dont. I prefer a mix of the two.

Answer by gemgem at 6:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I don't have a problem with cosmetic surgery if it is done to help boost a womans self confidence in a natural looking way. I do have a problem with women who turn themselves into Barbie!! I myself am having my breasts "fixed" once we are done having children, I don't want to be any bigger, I just want them back where they belong...trust me exercise wont lift these puppies, they are like freakin ankle warmers. Ok they are not that bad but I'm sure after a couple more little ones they wiil be.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 6:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Cut up the ugly and sew up the purdy!
    stanmom

Answer by stanmom at 6:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I don't think I would ever do the botox or face lifts...but I tell you what, I would love to have my boobs reduced and lifted.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I have one huge wrinkle between my eyes that I would love to get wiped off. Otherwise I'm pretty OK. My many, many, MANY layers of subcutaneous fat push my wrinkles out.

I think most women start having one thing done, then another, then another. It's a slippery slope and it just gets worse.

Most of the time, it seems, that women who go "overboard" are so unhappy on the inside but only want to work on their outside. OBVIOUSLY this is not in reference to a boob job or anything - but like that lady who literally can't close her eyes now because she's had so much plastic surgery? Yeah - I'm pretty safe in saying that woman is not happy with herself.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I'm not a botox fan cuz of what it is - gross. BUT I am a fan of plastic surgery. I am glad these things are available for people like burn patients etc. but I also think this is great for those who have done everything they can to get themselves in good shape but there are just some things that no exercising or eating right is going to fix like excess skin on the tummy from pregnancy or excessively saggy breasts. I don't have the tummy skin problem but know a girl who does. I do plan on getting my breasts done once I reach my post-baby body goals. I am also planning to have my stretch marks surgically fixed too.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 7:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2009