Oscars, Golden Globes, Peoples Choice. . .

Please forgive my ignorance of American pop culture. I was born and raised in the USA but somehow escaped a general knowledge of the goings on of Hollywood. My need is this: I know there are different award ceremonies, but what is the difference between them? Are some more significant? And does anyone know how they work, ie: who chooses the candidates, who picks the winners? When/where do they take place? Or maybe there is a website someone could direct me to.

Star76

Asked by Star76 at 6:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Entertainment

• Golden Globes are a combination of television and film awards - voted on by the Hollywood Foreign Press - it's the best show because it's like a big party and there's glamor and drinking and all kinds of very silly stuff. It's a good precursor to Oscars. The Foreign Press picks who the nominees are and who gets the award.

The Oscars are voted on by members of the industry themselves and are just for films. It is supposed to be the most prestigious of awards but there are favorites who never win. I am not sure how Oscar submissions are handled.

cont
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• The Emmys are the Oscars, but for television. Each type of show is represented and actors put their tape together and send them in for nominations and are voted on by their same type of actor (so all the drama people vote to figure out who the drama nominations are, etc.). Then everyone votes once the nominations are done.

I have no idea about the "People's Choice" award - I assume that's just whoever will show up.

As for a more detailed explanation, simple google the awards themselves - or use Wikipedia (which I love!).
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 7:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Thank you wimsey! I am heading over to Wikipedia right now, you've given me a good jumping off place.
    Star76

Answer by Star76 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2009