How can I stop my two year old from whining ALL the time?

It's over everything... whine whine whine... Then he'll cry and it's not b/c he can't talk. He speaks well. Any advice?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just ignore the whining. tell him you don't understand whining and when he talks with words like a big boy, you'll listen. Then be consistant and ignore the whining.
    BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 7:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I agree with the above answer, it worked for me. Say I don't understand you when you sound like that. Don't "hear" him when he whines. Praise him when he talks. Good luck!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• ditto ditto and same for screaming.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:47 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• i "whine" back to my kids that i can't understand them when they talk like that, they stop quick
    Anonymous

• I don't know if I could just IGNORE a whine. It grates on the nerves and would drive me nuts!
    Ophy

Answer by Ophy at 8:28 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My son was a whiner and the pediatrician actually said to me when I was at the end of my rope about it "some kids are just whiners no matter what you do". Now I can't remember when it stopped, actually honestly he still does it sometimes, but not over everything- he's 15 now!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I have 5 kids, 8 and under. When you figure it out PLEASE let me know! LOL Not to be a downer but expect to deal with it again at age 4, 6 and 8 (that's as far as I am, I'll let you know if it continues as mine grow LOL) What works with my kids ... if there is crying AND whining they go straight to the time-out-step until they are done and can come talk to me calmly. If it's just whining I make them stop, tell them to collect themselves, and then start talking to me. For a 2 yr old I wouldn't talk, I would just pick them up, take them to the time out spot, sit them down, say "no whining" and walk away. If they continue, just take them back. They're too young to understand the "stop, collect, speak" way, but they can understand that every time they whine they go directly to time out. They're smarter than you think ;) They'll get it after a couple days of consistently doing it.
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 8:54 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• whenever my daughter(almost 3) whines i ask her to go to her room until she calms down and that seems to work well for us.
    i will also sometimes remind her to 'use her words' instead of crying for something she needs or wants.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 11:42 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• When he wants something..tell him to use his words...if he chooses not to use his words then don't give him what he wants. When he continues to whine for not getting his way, place him in a "naughty spot" ( couch, bedroom, corner... whatever is safe). Tell him he can leave when he has calmed down. He may not stay there, so when he leaves the spot, just keep placing him back there without speaking to him. It will be trying for you, but it is important that you stay calm. When he calms down and leaves the spot, if he still wants what started the whine fest, he must use his words to get it. If he still chooses not to then it starts all over again. This is a test. He needs to know that you mean what you say when you say "No whining"
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 10:02 AM on Jan. 12, 2009