spanking, not spanking, or time out time?

What is your method of disciplining your child? Spanking, not spanking, time outs, etc. Why or why not??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Time outs. I believe that spanking only teaches a child that hitting is ok. Time outs work just fine for us.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 7:32 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Depends on the offense. I believe in all of the above.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Time outs work well. But as my children get older, we are finding that taking away priveledges for small periods of time works better. Spanking only happened when they were younger and only when nothing else worked. By spankings, I mean a slight smack on the behind, it never made them cry or hurt them it just got their attention. I would never intentionally hurt my babies. But hey to each their own I say.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 7:35 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• My discipline is to make sure the consequence fit the behavior, to promote positive behavior and not just punish negative behavior. I believe that discipline is full-time - I'm teaching my son appropriate behavior but still allowing him to be a kid with emotions too big to handle. Think times, removal of privileges/toys, practice, do-overs, logical consequences, gentle re-direction, choices, positive reinforcement, acceptance - these are all part of my discipline tool belt.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 7:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I use many types of consequences, spanking is never one of the,.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I do not use spanking and my reasons are too many to post in a single thread. I work as a professional pediatric psychotherapist and have done quite a bit of professional research as well as have professional updates and findings available to me in professional journals. But with that said I don't use just one form of punishment. I do use consistency as my method of discipline. Discipline and punishment are two separate animals. I have a variety of techniques at my disposal as a parent that I determine, quickly, at the time a punishment or a correction is warrented. I use Love and Logic, P.E.T, and I am fond of the filial approach to parenting, response and play. cont...

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 7:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• cont..Which means that now I must practice what I preached all those years. In some ways it is easier for me because I have had all those years of practice on other people's children and I taught parenting classes and behavioral therapeutic techniques. In other ways it is much harder because when I'm having a bad parenting day or moment I am very hard on myself and feel like a failure as a mother for not being perfect. Nobody is perfect for sure. While I understand that logically it is different on a bad day. We all have them. My suggestion is to read parenting books. There are a ton out there. Some bad, some good, and some okay. Choose several philosophies and experiment with different techniques. You will find one that works for you.  If you don't want to spank there are a ton of options available.  Then again, if you want to spank it is perfectly legal.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• We have 5 children. We use a variety of methods. I've found if you use just one and you over use it then it eventually becomes ineffective. We use spanking for defiance and willful disobedience. I'm not sure how to explain it, it's more about their attitude when they do it than anything else. Most of the time we use time-outs, writing sentences for the older ones, talking, etc I will say that what works with one kid, may not work with another, even within the same family. This is why we have a variety of methods. You just need to find what you are comfortable with and what works for your child. My only advise is to never ever spank when you are angry or frustrated. Choose another method in those cases.
    DebateandRelate

Answer by DebateandRelate at 8:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• We do both depending on the situation, on some occasions I'll spank while others I'll use time out
    trevsrockinmom

Answer by trevsrockinmom at 9:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I don't spank at all because I don't see any reason to touch my kids' butts (other than cleaning) and I don't believe in hitting children. Whether people admit it or not spanking is hitting. I use a form of time out that I learned at a discipline seminar I attended with my husband. You place your arm under their chin and restrain their hands so they can't hit or bite and count to 10 (I don't ever get to 10 because my daughter is only 18 months)
    unwieldingdream

Answer by unwieldingdream at 10:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2009