Filling a Void?

I just ha to put my Rottweiler down on 9 Dec. I've been having a really hard time coping with it. My mom got me a cute miniature shnauzer that I said I didn't want. Well, when I went to visit her (6hrs away) she had the puppy there and I named it and told my son it was his new puppy. By the end of the visit my mom had changed her mind and she wanted to keep the dog. I'm ever so slightly upset over that but it happens. So, now I am on the search for another dog because I feel like I have this strange need to get another dog. We already have two dogs at home that are great and I know I don't need another dog yet I keep finding myself on petfinder.com and checking all of the animal shelters and breeders (prefer a rescue). Should I try to push this "need" for a new dog out of my head?

cat1622

Asked by cat1622 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Pets

• I had a dog for five years that my daughter picked out when he was a puppy, and she was about 14. We went through everything together, including a suicide attempt when that dog was the only thing that kept me conscious until someone came home and called 911. Then, I got a new boyfriend after my daughter grew up and moved out. He was friends with the neighbor's 12-yo son, and one day the neighbor boy was at our house, and the dog all of a sudden attacked the boy, cornered him and BIT him! I had to call Animal Control and have him put down or risk a lawsuit from the neighbors, and I've never gotten over his loss. I've had two other dogs since then. I just found out a few months ago that the neighbor boy had stomped on his tail before he got bit ~ intentionally.... Makes my heart hurt! I feel for you honey!
    jburg2541

Answer by jburg2541 at 4:46 PM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I wouldn't push it out of your head, but not pursue it heavily either. See how you feel after some more time has passed. The loss of your rottie was very recent, so you're feeling that large void left by him/her. It will take some time getting used to that loss. Part of grieving over a deceased pet is wanting them back or wanting another just like them, then you hurt more when you realize that no one could ever take his/her place.
    I'm sorry about your dog, it's alwayd hard to lose a friend, but take your time healing. You'll know when it's the right time to get another dog, also I believe you'll know 'the one' too. Prayers for your healing.
    Momma.Mare

Answer by Momma.Mare at 7:50 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• If you can financially afford another dog, then go for it (if it's what you and your family really want). There are plenty of dogs out there that need new homes. Go for it!
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 10:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I have three dogs. I think that with so many looking for homes, it can't be a bad thing to give one a home. I do think that Momma.Mare is right, no two dogs are the same. If you feel you need another dog, then go for it. If you think this will replace your Rottie, then maybe you should think about it longer.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 10:49 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• let yourself grieve hon.Then in a few months if you can afford it then start looking.You owe it to your new "family member" to be ready to accept their particualr personality.As for your mom, that was kinda crappy to do to her grandson lol geesh.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:25 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• You know what I had a cat that we got from the shelter and she was only with us for 2 years before she passed because of liver disease. I had such a hard time and cried for months because I watched her walk to me in pain and we tried everything to help her but it was her time to go. My husband thought that it might be a good idea to get another cat.So we went to the shelter to look at a cat that had her same colors. I actually didn't like the cat but we got her and it's been 2 years and she's healthy and vwery playful with a wonderful personality and we have a great bond like our other cat. I wouldn't give her up for anything now, and we have 3 dogs, and a rabbit.
    JulieN17

Answer by JulieN17 at 1:11 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• I would've risked the lawsuit... Animal attacks are RARELY out of nowhere, usually provoked.
    lmk122288

Answer by lmk122288 at 3:07 AM on Jan. 13, 2009

• maybe if youre not sure that you want to add another dog to your life, you could volunteer at your local humane society! that way you get to enjoy the company of lots of new dogs but youre still helping them out by socializing them :)
    lmk122288

Answer by lmk122288 at 3:08 AM on Jan. 13, 2009