Gender determination?

I just wanted to know others' opinions/experiences on this matter... I've seen a lot of posts where moms have been told they need to wait until 20 weeks (or more) to find out their baby's gender, however I found mine out at 16 weeks. (I had a 3D/4D done though so it may be different, and all u/s machines are different too) I know you can also find out via other tests... what I'm wondering is, what is the earliest or latest everyone has been told they can find out their baby's gender?

Amanda_Jeanne

Asked by Amanda_Jeanne at 7:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i found out at 15 weeks with my son, but i heard the earlier you go the higher chance of error there is.
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 7:36 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• you can see the sex of the baby as soon as 14 weeks but normally don't have an ultra sound until 16-20 weeks..
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 7:38 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• yeah this one girl i know had one at 14 weeks and the 3 lines were visible (it was a girl) i thought it was crazy
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 7:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• i didn't get into the or have my first ob appointment until i was 19 weeks so that following week i had an ultrasound and it was a boy, you could see very clearly on the screen that he wasn't hiding what he was.
    Katiebears89

Answer by Katiebears89 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• 16 weeks with my girl and she was right...confirmed again at 29 weeks...
    mimi_emc2

Answer by mimi_emc2 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• 16 weeks but dd just did a quick opening of the legs had to go back a few weeks later to finish and was confirmed a girl
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 8:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• 17w6d with my first. 19 weeks with this one. 3D u/s can tell you earlier but remember you can not tell the gender until 15 weeks no matter what. The earlier you get your u/s the higher chance of error there is. Plus most people wait until the 20 week u/s because that is the anatomy ultrasound, the big one, to check for any defects etc, so it's easier to do that since most insurance only covers 2-3 u/s unless medically necessary.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:44 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Usually there is a planned ultrasound at 16 weeks. I was always afraid we couldn't tell the sex of the baby, so I'd push it to the 18th week. I was able to find out all 4 times with reasonable certainty. Good luck!
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 9:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2009