Businesses advertising their religion

How do you feel about businesses that note their faith or put religious symbols in their advertising?

Example: Covenant Construction with the Christian fish symbol as part of their logo or Sew Happy Sewing with a cross in their ad.

Do you notice it? Does it make you want to do business with them more or less? Would you avoid shopping at a business that advertized a faith that was different than your own?

pwfaith

Asked by pwfaith at 11:48 AM on Jul. 17, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I take notice of the religious symbolism, but don't generally factor it into my decision of whether or not to patronize that business. However, if somebody chooses to advertise their faith, and then conducts their business or personal life in a manner that is completely incompatible with that faith, I take my business elsewhere.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I personally own a Christian business:) itswrittentees.com, If I saw the advertisement indicating it's a Christian business I would consider working with them more. It reveals to me their order of conduct versus a co. that doesn't advertise it.
    binarystarr

Answer by binarystarr at 12:08 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• Due to our past experiences with businesses who advertise they are a "Christian business" , we make a note to stay away--it's a red flag. We have been burned too many times, sorry to say. So I think it MAY help them or hurt them depending on their potential clients' knowledge and experiences. I think business people should stand on thier own integrity and build their reputation.
    Jazzmim

Answer by Jazzmim at 12:19 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I think it's unprofessional for businesses to advertise the religion that way.
    bramlettljb

Answer by bramlettljb at 12:25 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I agree with Lawmom on this subject.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I actively refuse to give business to someone who feels the need to advertise their religion. I will go out of my way to find somewhere else to go. Just like I'm sure some would go out of their way to not patronize a business that advertised paganism or atheism. It's my choice as a consumer.
    Anonymous

• I tend to shy away from any business that actively portrays their religion. To me it is like saying, "hey we believe this and we want to do business with people that believe the same more then other people." It might not be true but that is the feel I get when I see a sign like that. Then again if I saw a business that proudly stated they were an atheist business I might actually be more inclined to go in there, lol. I've never seen that though. It is usually Christians that I see advertising their business that way.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• I avoid businesses showing religious symbols. I had it shoved down my throat for 19 yrs. I don't need or want to be 'converted' or preached to by anyone. Unless it's a Bible bookstore I'm not interested.
    Anonymous

• I think it is better left unsaid. Let your business practices speak for themselves. Jazzmin is not the first I have heard say that Christian businesses have been some of the most negative experiences for some. Pitiful!
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 2:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• It might depend on what their product/services are. Being pagan I probably would avoid it. I also don't think its right to do that unles you are, obviously, a religious store or services. For example, if it is a Christian Bookstore then sure, put a cross or whatever. But just a plain bookstore catering to non-Christian stuff, then no.
    seakla

Answer by seakla at 2:07 PM on Jul. 17, 2008