Do you argue in front of your kids? And if so, should you apologize to them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• We fuss at each other and work it out. I would never apologize to my children for that.

Any serious discussions take place outside of their hearing.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 8:15 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• We disagree but we do not yell.  My husband is all about "communicating" so we have discussions. That simply is not our way of communicating with each other. Once my mother became enraged at me and yelled, screamed, pointed her finger - the whole nine yards. My two year old was scared and it upset him. He was certainly shaken at the incident. Needless to say grandma is no longer in the picture. Not because she was made or screamed - the issue she raised is the reason but that is a whole nother story. The end result though is I learned that actually screaming and arguing in a fit of rage is unhealthy for my son. My promise to him is that his father and I will not do that to him or to us.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:29 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• we have raised our voices a couple of times. Yes, we apologized. I think it's respectful.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 9:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• When my husband argue in front of the kids, we make sure we apologize and kiss and make up in front of the kids also. I was raise in a house where my mother yelled a lot. Especially at my dad. I don't want my kids to have that knot in their stomach every time they walk through the door.
    Anonymous

• There have been a few rare occasions that we have fought in front of them and yes we did apologize at those times. We occasionally have disagreements or fuss (as someone else said) in front of them and no we do not apologize. Truth be known, I think it is good for them...they see us disagree, work through it and apologize (if it is needed). They also see us play, dance, hug and love all over each other (and they see far more of that) which grosses my oldest out. LOL. They will know that just because two people do not see eye to eye doesn't mean they can't and don't love one another.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• discussions yes...yelling and screaming no. Kids need to know that mom and daddy can disagree and still work things out.
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 10:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• We haven't yet - she's only 2 - but I thnk it's healthy for kids to see that their parents can disagree, work it out, and still love each other. It gives kids a healthy view of a relationship instead of the rosy-glow view of "happily ever after". No one is always happy. No two people will always agree. Compromise is the grease of life.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• We will have disagreements, but make every effort not to yell or scream in front of them. Unfortunately, it has happened a couple of times. I did apologize to my oldest (he was 3) and tried to explain to him what was going on. I don't want him to grow up in a house like that.
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 12:39 AM on Jan. 12, 2009

• DH and I don't fight. We disagree at times, but it's respectful. If we did argue in front of the kids for some reason we would apologize and explain what was going on to our kids. They get upset when they see other people fighting because they aren't used to it, so I can only imagine how it would upset them if their dad and I did.
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 1:21 AM on Jan. 12, 2009