Planning on preschool

Are any of you mothes planning on putting your tot/s in preschool Im not sure i want to and if you are why are you

aubrees_mommie

Asked by aubrees_mommie at 7:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I used to teach preschool. If it is a good, clean, accredited center....or has a carriculum you are looking for it is a good idea. The structure of the day is a plus. I worked at a couple KinderCare centers in 2 different states, amoung a couple privately owned centers, and liked how the day was structured, there are lesson plans that actually teach the children interesting things. There is also the key fact they learn to make friends and learn more social skills there. The kids can also release more energy there and help not be so wild at home, so my friends of toddlers have told me lOL
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 8:00 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• I wasn't going to. But....we ended up doing evaluations for my oldest and he was found to have a severe delay in fine motor skills, SPD and possible ODD. (that has been ruled out) It was recommended that he attend preschool in order to evaluate his challenges in a more social setting. So we sent him.

He is undergoing further evaluations as it was discovered he is showing a lot of "red flags" for Asperger's and/or ADHD. We had no clue about these red flags...they were brought to our attention by his teacher and therapist.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2009

• Because of the experience with him, we started our now 3 year old in preschool two days a week for a couple of hours. I knew he had a speech delay and in order to get help for that, he underwent a full evaluation and we discovered he has a moderate fine motor skill delay. Long story short, we were sent to a neurologist because of his "tension". He is suspect for PDD-NOS and the doctor recommended we keep him in preschool at LEAST those two days a week because right now he IS learning and he IS somewhat social.

Because of these two, we are going to send the youngest. It's (for us) a second set of eyes to see things we may miss.

The boys didn't need it academically. My oldest is on a first grade level and the 3 year old is doing kindergarten work. (the 2 year old is ahead of the game, too) But for us, it's a social outlet for them and a way to have some extra help monitoring their social development so to speak.
    TiccledBlue